An Example Round the World Route
There are a number of ways to travel round the world. If fact, there are hundreds of ways to travel round the world. It's completely you're choice. However, if you're stuck for ideas, then here's my quick guide round the world.
My RTW route: London >> Bangkok >> Singapore >> Sydney >> Cairns >> Auckland >> Christchurch >> Perth >> London
How would you rate your RTW destinations on a scale of 1 - 5? 1 being completely rubbish to 5 being completely awesome?
Bangkok (5) Singapore (4) Sydney (5) Cairns (3) Auckland (5) Christchurch (4) Perth (4)
What was the best destination of the lot and why?
Out of all those on my flight path I'd have to say it's out of three for different reasons: Bangkok, Sydney and Auckland. Bangkok because it was our first destination and it's the most amazing city - it was also so exciting because it was the first stop on our massive adventure. Sydney because there's a certain buzz around Sydney; its hard to explain but those who have been there will know what I mean. Then Auckland because I met some brilliant people there; I met up with some friends I'd made during the trip so far and it was amazing to meet up with them again.
What was the worst destination of the lot and why?
Cairns but only because we were only there for a short time. We booked the cheapest (and nastiest) hostel as we'd only be there for a couple of hours before our flight so we didn't get to see any of the city. We spent most of our time either in the Woolshed (a backpackers bar) or in a manky hostel wishing we'd spent a couple of quid more on somewhere nicer!
What was the absolute highlight of your RTW trip?
Everything! It's impossible to pick out one highlight... the people I met, the places I went and the sights I saw were amazing and truly the best memories that I will treasure for the rest of my life! Until the next time I go travelling that is...
Looking back now, what would you have done differently when planning or booking your RTW trip?
I would have done more research into the places I was going to make sure I was picking out the places I'd enjoy most.
What top tips would you pass on to anybody about to book their RTW ticket or head off on their trip?
- Research where you want to go before you go into the travel agents... this is your trip so pick where you want to go. Don't let other people make suggestions that you just go along with because it seems easier at the time.
- Make sure you have enough money to go out there and do everything you want to. It's not good to come home disappointed and thinking "I wish I'd been able to afford to do this or that..."
- If you can, talk to people who have been travelling before (for example, use the messageboards on this site - I know I did!). It gains you valuable tips and also makes you really excited because you can't wait to experience all the things that people rave about!
- If you're going to go with someone, make sure it's the right person. I was lucky enough to go with someone who was right for me but I came across people who were regretting going away together and ending up separating, which wasn't good for their friendship!
- Enjoy the planning! I won't quite say it's the best bit of the trip because obviously living your trip is the best but it's so exciting planning, although it might seem a bit stressful getting everything organised but you literally have the world at your fingertips so enjoy it!
Loading comments ..