application for camp america

Post Reply New Thread

application for camp america

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 148601

Joined 2003-09-20

hello everyone…
I’ve searched through the forums for advice, but couldnt find any…can anyone help me with my application for camp america? I just haven’t got a clue what sort of thing to write in my personal statement or how to word it etc?
Thanks!
Jimbo :D

Rank

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2006-08-30

Personally i would go with CCUSA! They pay you more and it costs less to go.

On your personal statement just be honest as they ask you about your experience in your interview. And use anything you’ve done like i take my disabled nan out on week end’s and I wrote that down even though it’s not something i do for a living or get paid for.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 478

Joined 2006-07-14

I would definitely agree, do not go to camp with camp america. I am just back from a brilliant summer at camp, but camp america were beyond useless. They messed up all my visa stuff, we had no idea about flights there or back until very close to departure, and i wasnt the only one at camp with these problems. Plus other organisations pay more Bunac, CCUSA, AWE all pay more money.
If u have any money left after camp go for trek america - absolutely amazing!!
as for your application stress your knowledge of working with kids, your energy and enthusiasm, your responsibility, your talents and skills which would be usefull at camp anything that will make u stand out as a good camp counsellor. Have a brilliant summer!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 392

Joined 2006-03-30

in regards to your personal statement write down every bit of interests hobbies ect i used to do a lot of pantomines n such when younger- not done it in years but i still put it down!! so literally nething like that, job experiance,  even if you went to guides or something like that?

in regards to companies i keep saying go with a company called camp leaders they pay the most out of everyone! i went with Bunac this summer no problems with them but id go with camp leaders next summer!

hope you get stuff sorted, and youll have the time of your life if you get to go!
xx

Joined 2003-09-20

Hi,
With so many different companies to choose from and so many comments from people, I decided to do my own research with regards to price and it seems CCUSA are definitely the cheapest – my mum forced me to check it out! From everyone’s comments it seems that the choices are CCUSA, Camp America, BUNAC and Camp Leaders, so I rang them up and this is what I got:
Fees
Cheapest is CCUSA = £199 for everything
2nd is BUNAC = £238 for everything…..£39 more expensive
3rd is Camp Leaders = £279 for everything….£80 more expensive
4th is Camp America = £355 plus you have to get your own Baggage Insurance….£156 plus more expensive
Salary
CCUSA = $835 under 21 & $935 Over 21
BUNAC = $860 under 21 & $935 Over 21
Camp Leaders = Min $800 – The person I spoke was very vague and wouldn’t give me a proper answer so assuming everyone gets $800 – weren’t very helpful and very rude!
Camp America = ???? – It took me 4 calls to finally get through, and then the person I spoke to didn’t even know, and basically hung up on me!

So after ringing around and comparing everything, CCUSA were the cheapest by far and offered the best deal, followed by BUNAC, Camp Leaders & Camp America – and Camp Leaders and Camp America were very rude on the phone. Oh and did my homework on the exchange rate (US$ to £), and the difference isn’t much at all with the Dollar so poor – don’t go for the salary anyway, so I based the costing on what you save in the fees

Since then I have applied to CCUSA, and already had my interview – even had it in my own town with a really friendly interviewer. Just have to wait to see where I will be going now. Hopefully this information helps and saves people time doing it themselves. My vote would definitely by CCUSA with regards to price and salary, and they have been really friendly so far too.

Katherine :D

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-03-30

camp leaders lol! yes you have to pay £80 more however youll more pennies when your away!!!
i went with Bunac n others were from ccusa yep good companies but at the end of camp we all said well go with camp leaders!
xxxx

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2006-03-30

oh n the salary i got with bunac at my camp was $900 ppl with camp leaders got $1000 ish maybe a lil more, cant honestly remember tho if they were over 21 or not :? 

xxx

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2005-08-30

Hi,
Thought I would mention that I went with Camp Leaders last year - NEVER AGAIN. I had friends who went through BUNAC and CCUSA and they got placed at good camps, but Camp Leaders placed me at a camp that I didn’t even sign up for on my application and when I spoke to them, they didn;t even care but was too late too pull out. I am going to my friends camp this summer as she had a great time, but will go through CCUSA as they are the cheapest.
Nicole :D

Joined 2003-09-20

After reading this, I think I’m going to apply elsewhere.

I’ve originally applied with Camp America and paid my £60 deposit and 2 weeks later, I’ve heard no word from them about an interview, which I’ve tried to arrange online.

Not very good service in my opinion.

I think I’ll call them tomorrow, ask them to refund my deposit and go with CCUSA.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 105

Joined 2006-09-24

Hi all - just saw this post. Just to let you know that we have a summer camp section on this site here: http://www.gapyear.com/summer_camps with a load more advice on Summer camps

Hope this helps

Tom
===========
Tom Griffiths
Founder
gapyear.comk

Joined 2003-09-20

I applied with camp america last year and the staff at the office were always rude to me. The interviewer was too busy talking to his kids, who kept running in and out the room, to actually talk to me properly. I just thought if this is how useless they are here I don’t want to find out what it’s like when i’m out there. It then took them 2 months to refund my deposit…never again!!

Joined 2003-09-20

I found out that I’m can’t have a refund unless I cancel due to medical purposes.

Damn. I called them and asked what was taken them so long and it’s something do with my medical disclosure.

I’m secretely hoping that I won’t get in (when I eventually get an interview) so I can concentrate on my RTW but sods law means I’ll probably walk it.

So I guess we’ll see…

Joined 2003-09-20

hey! i have been to camp last summer and the 1 before, both times with ccusa and i had no problems. in my first year i applied with camp america and didnt hear anything after two weeks so i cancelled and went with ccusa. ppl from my camp went with camp america but i was paid more and paid less to go. also they had some horror stories…one guy stranded at airport for hours as camp america told camp wrong terminal and he couldnt get hold of camp america to sort it out when he got there. not sure if its the same now but they had to book their home flight online in aug and couldnt book till a certain date, as u can imagine every single person at camp in usa attempying to book at the same time and site kept crashing. plus one girl paid £100 more to fly from airport of choice to be told no flights from there left so she had to pay to fly somewhere else to get her flight home. i would def recommend go with ccusa!
regarding ur app, i worked for ccusa as an area rep wen i came bk from my first summer and i interviewed the apps. they have a rep at most unis so u dont have to travel far for an interview. in your personal statement just write about yourself and family/friends and hobbies, what you hope to achieve from camp and wot u feel u can bring to it. dont worry if it sounds cheesy, its wot they expect. dont be put off if u havent much experience with children- they can assess wot ull be like from the interview. they will ask u about your exp with children and also about things such as how u cope in difficult situations, making tough desicions etc….most ppl give examples from a job or uni. interview is really informal and u will just get asked qus and they will write it down.
i would def recommend going to a job fair, its great as u can pick a camp u like the look of and can speak to the directors of the camp (sounds scary but they are all very nice and friendly!) i got mine there and was good as i knew wot to expect!
also dont b put off if the camp is a religious one- i went to a jewish camp and am not even religious let alone jewish! they do vary obv if is a bible camp it will b religious but lots are normal camps, just the kids are all one religion!
hope this helps! vic x

Joined 2003-09-20

Hello Everyone,

i just thought i would say that i think Camp Leaders is by far the best!!! I am shocked to see anything bad said about them!!! I have been through them now for the past 2 summers and will be returning through them again for my third year to camp. I have never had any problems with them that have been more than helpfull, they even go out of there way to help you!! Which for the type of thing you are doing “going to the US for the summer” is very reasureing.

I have a friend who has been through 1 of the other companys and ahe had problem after problem even to the day she came home after camp. Even though she had a bad experiece with the other company she’s going back to camp through Camp Leaders.

SO TO ANYONE WHO HAS HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE WITH ANOTHER COMPANY I STRONGLY RECOMENT CAMP LEADERS, AND TO ANYONE WHO HAS NEVER BEEN BEFORE AND IS UNSURE OF WHO TO GO THROUGH!!!

Joined 2003-09-20

Hey guys!
Well i have been going to camp for two years now, my past year i was sent through camp leaders via my camp! and i can tell you it was SO MUCH BETTER!
I found camp leaders were honest and really helped you with every need.
I went through other organization before, and they never replied to my emails for questions etc.. and didn’t really help me! Then suddenly started charging me more money. Camp Leaders if i had a problem before going to camp or during the summer they always emailed me back and helped me a lot!

I also know from other people the interviewers are much better, because they are more friendly and down to earth. I know my interview was awful, the person was nice but it scared me to death! I felt like i was at court for something! I rather being going to a interview where you get to talk about yourself and experience’s but also hear about camp and what happens! It makes it more exciting!

Most people who went to my camp this year went through camp leaders and they were very happy with what they got, no complaints what so ever!
I know people who been through most of the organizations, and they best people have talked about it camp leaders! No one i know has gone through any organization more than once except camp leaders - due to bad experiences..therefore finding what they best need from camp leaders!
So i really recommend that! Also my camp prefer camp leaders, as they are more friendly and approachable!

So yeah i suggest camp leaders!!!

Joined 2003-09-20

Hey,
I would recommend camp v.highly to all… I jus had the best experience of my life this yr at a wilderness camp that was underprivileged.
I went with campleaders who I found to be great!
Even when I was airlifted to hospital they always were calling to check on my status etc.
Theyre real friendly and when applying made you feel like you were talkin to a m8 rather than a company!
I laughed yesterday when I saw a CCUSA ad saying they were cheapest… They are BUT they fail to mention that the pay for an 18 and 19 yr old is at least $200 less than campleaders! Plus there’s alot of small print that ends up costing you!!!
Talk sonn
smile