Getting from Pattaya - Angkor Wat??

Post Reply New Thread

Getting from Pattaya - Angkor Wat?? 

RankRank

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2008-06-18

Jolly travellers,

ive only been in pattaya 1 night and definately need to exit, havn’t seen any backpackers but plenty of perves…

Can someone advise me whats the *easiest* way to get to Angkor Wat, Cambodia from here?

Also how do u go about seeing the place, is siem rip the nearest place to stay??

Details/experiences much appreciated.

Neil

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 570

Joined 2007-09-01

Oh shit! you didnt???!!! unlucky mate! what a digusting crap hole eh! worst place of my trip by far :(!  A nice place if you were Gary Glitter though I guess, or some sort of urban rat.

I would say grab the bus back to Bangkok as soon as possible and fly out of Bangkok. Make sure you’d be ok with the visa though.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 6565

Joined 2005-09-29

Dude, Pattaya is an awful, awful place. You never see many backpackers there. Paedo town innit.

Flights from Bangkok to Siem Reap can be bloody expensive, guys. Bangkok Airways and Siem Reap Airways (same company) monopolise the route from Bangkok, and they’re not cheap, especially when booked at short notice in peak season (the very cheapest one way economy fare this Sunday will set you back £145, believe it or not!). And bear in mind the airport in Bangkok is still worth avoiding for a good few days anyway.

Go back to Bangkok and take a bus to Siem Reap via the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border point, but do not book any accommodation in advance and make bloody sure that you don’t get involved with one of the infamous minibus bus scam companies who try and get you to stay at their minging and expensive accommodation and take a f*cking age to get you there.

I don’t have time to give you the lowdown, but Travelfish is your saviour. Read this page and also the links off it…

http://www.travelfish.org/feature/71

It’s well worth taking a few minutes to read it, because it will help make your trip as simple as it needs to be. It’s actually a very easy trip to organise yourself but too many people get caught up in the scams.

And yes - Siem Reap is the base for Angkor. It’s just outside of town. You’ll easily find decent accomodation on arrival, so don’t worry. You’ll be mobbed by guesthouse reps as you step off the bus. Don’t let your bag out of sight, mind.

RankRank

Joined 2008-06-18

Spot on mate, i ended up going back to Bangkok, and getting a bus from kao san road to Siem Reap - 480BT all in! The people in pattaya were quoting me 1650!!

Angkor has been truly amazing!

Now i just need to figure out best way to get to koh phagnan,,,back via bangkok?

Joined 2005-09-29

If the weather’s nice, definitely consider taking the boat from Siem Reap to Battambang. Get up on the roof and take in the scenery, mate. You’ll stop at the floating villages and you’ll arrive in Battambang by late afternoon.

Stay at the Royal Hotel in Battambang (awesome and dead cheap) and then take a bus from there back to the border at Poipet next day (or stay for a day there and have a day out in the countryside with one of the moto riders who hang out in the foyer at the Royal). Anyways, from Poipet, a bus to Bangkok is easy. Then I’d take the night train to Surat Thani and hop on a Songserm or Sea Tran boat out to KP.

When do you need to be on KP by?

Have you met Charlie at Angkor What bar? He’s the guy that looks like a pit bull terrier.

Rank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2008-10-12

How long does the boat from Battambang to Siem Reap take?  Also how much does it cost?  Thinking of doing this in the next few days instead of going straight to Siem Reap

Thanks

RankRank

Joined 2008-06-18

If the weather’s nice, definitely consider taking the boat from Siem Reap to Battambang. Get up on the roof and take in the scenery, mate. You’ll stop at the floating villages and you’ll arrive in Battambang by late afternoon.

Stay at the Royal Hotel in Battambang (awesome and dead cheap) and then take a bus from there back to the border at Poipet next day (or stay for a day there and have a day out in the countryside with one of the moto riders who hang out in the foyer at the Royal). Anyways, from Poipet, a bus to Bangkok is easy. Then I’d take the night train to Surat Thani and hop on a Songserm or Sea Tran boat out to KP.

Have you met Charlie at Angkor What bar? He’s the guy that looks like a pit bull terrier.

I got a t-shirt and was smashed at angkor what? bar most nights, don’t recall a guy called charlie, but then i dont remember much generally.

I came back to bangkok on a bumpy ass uncomfortable ride. The travel folks are telling me best way is to take bus down to chumpan or something like that, and take ferry to koh tao through to KP. 500BT.

good deal?

RankRank

Joined 2008-06-18

O, i did the boat ride in siem reap around the floating villages, but the guide really pissed me off!!!

i just wanted to relax and take in the scenary not have him nattering in my ear, and then he told me “i wasnt contributing enough for the school kids”, surely any voluntary contribution should be appreciated!? and then shop wouldn’t give me change, (what kind of shop doesn’t have change!??) and i should spend my who $20 on books for the school. $20 for a pack of 20 tiny little notebooks? that would a rip off in WH Smiths in London, let alone cambodia. Then he lets slip that he actually goes to the private english speaking school down the stream….someone was making commission i’m sure.

had my rant now, feel better already smile

Joined 2005-09-29

Sounds like you did the tour, mate. Haven’t really got time for them. The boat I’m on about is just a connection service between Siem Reap and Battambang. No guides or anything like that. Just a bunch of backpackers, locals and sacks of food.

Get up on the roof and have a larf with the other backpackers.