Does anyone have experience with International Volunteer HQ (IVHQ)?

Does anyone have experience with International Volunteer HQ (IVHQ)?

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-07-27

So I’m considering using IVHQ to volunteer in Peru, but I haven’t had much luck in finding very many reviews. That may be due to the fact that it’s a new organization but still, it worries me. I’ve also came across a few negative reviews stating that IVHQ is a scam. Can anyone help?

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-02-19

hi… been overseas with them before and they are great. i’ve been every year since they started (having this year off to do something different) but highly recommend it! you should notify daniel radclif the executive director of the negative feedback on the net. i met him on my last trip and he is a great dude. because they are so cheap tho i think some old volunteer companies have got angry with them cause they are taking lots of their business. maybe this is the person saying this? http://www.abroadreviews.com (independent review website) is a good site to compare volunteer companies but go with ivhq, if it’s like my trips you will love it. any questions let me know… i come on here sometimes but mainly just looking for somewhere to go this year and feel like a change from volunteering grin

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-08-19

Anyone volunteered in Ghana with IVHQ as i am planning to go in November

Rank

Joined 2009-08-19

Do they do CRB police checks before you go

Rank

Joined 2009-08-25

I am also considering going to peru, but i also havent heard very much about the program. Besides meeting with everyone over seas, do the advisors make home visits or is there a company near by that i could visit. it is kind of scary to just jump on a plane and later discover that you are stranded.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2009-02-19

Just came back from a second trip with them to Ghana and once again it was very good. They seem much bigger now than when I first went and the program coordinator in Ghana said he heard they now sent over 3000 people abroad annually. I cannot verify that though - second hand information. The Facebook group page is huge with a lot of members though and I have found this very helpful in the past. A lot of members, feedback, photos and videos.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=18532434512&ref=ts

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2009-03-30

yeah, they are indeed great. i did 7 weeks of the Lima program this summer, i had an amazing time. don’t even think about it, just do it! so reasonable compared to some of the other companies which are just total rip offs, i think I paid about £650 in total to them, and for 7 weeks including all accomodation and food etc this is a good deal. can’t speak for any of the programs apart from the peru one, but IVHQ are very helpful and deal with any queries you have really quickly too.

Rank

Joined 2010-02-09

i’m actually kind of surprised that so many people like them, i just got back from costa rica and i was pretty dissapointed, as were a lot of the other volunteers down there.  they pretty much don’t do anything except for sending you a brochure and i really don’t think they had any clue about what was going on in costa rica.  the work itself was ok, i did conservation stuff, although it was pretty disorganized and there was no real aim to what we were doing.  IVHQ is pretty cheap though which is nice, although i suspect that is a big reason why they pay pretty much no attention to you.  but anyway, glad that other people had a better time but i thought they were pretty weak (although i did have a great experience, but that was IN SPITE of them).

Rank

Joined 2010-02-17

Well thanks for the info as I was planning on taking my daughter there this year

Rank

Joined 2010-02-19

I just finished up in Costa Rica and on my way to Lima with them in two months and then in Thailand at the end of the year. I am backpacking down to Lima and hopefully doing some independent volunteer work on the way. I did the turtle program like Mark (above) in Costa Rica but contrary to his feelings I loved it and found IVHQ/Maximo Nivel very helpful. I met volunteers from other companies on different programs who had paid far more than us and yet seemed to be having relatively the same experience, far worse in some cases. I am not sure how they did it but ivhq’s prices were incredible.  They seem to have a massive price advantage over other companies. In saying that I felt the fees were fair. I would not have been happy paying anymore than I did for services received -  I think they are about right at the moment. Blanche and Megan from IVHQ were both great in answering my questions before I left. Knowing specific placements earlier than we received them would have been helpful though.

Mark -  when did you volunteer? I was in Costa Rica since the start of 2010 and did not meet anyone that felt about IVHQ, Maximo or the program like this….. did you even volunteer with them or are you confusing them for another company? There was only a small group of us volunteers on the turtle program during my time so I find your post a bit fishy to be honest. I am sure I would have met you. What’s your full name?

I will post feedback on IVHQ Lima when I finish there and also if I find any other volunteer options on my way down to Lima but i recommend the ivhq turtle program in CR.

Rank

Joined 2011-02-04

HQ is just like any other volunteer organization.  Don’t be deceived by their seemingly low prices.

There are tons of organizations out there that have no fees at all.  You only have to cover accommodation/meals…and in some cases those are free too. They are considerably less than HQ.

Here is a website for free and low cost volunteer work in South America:

http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net/

As a warning, do not pay the registration fee unless you know for sure you are going.  On the website, it says it is refundable, but this is a lie.  It’s a case where you have to read the fine print.

Rank

Joined 2011-02-25

Does anyone know why they are not a member of the BBB? I’m always worried about giving money to anyone that I dont have alot of information on so i looked them up on the BBB and could not find them..

Rank

Joined 2010-08-03

Try http://sites.google.com/site/volunteerreview I know they have some good reviews on there.

Rank

Joined 2011-04-08

Iv been thinkin about volunteerin in Uganda with IVHQ an i cant find any reviews or experiences about it. I know Uganda projects quite new to IVHQ but would be good to find out what its like. If anyone been, how was it?

Rank

Joined 2011-05-24

Hi Jackson,

I was just looking around for a review for ivhq’s costa rica turtle conservation program, and I came across this forum. You seem to have had a good experience and was wondering if I could ask you a few questions regarding your time there? I’m planning to do the same program with a friend in january.

If it’s more convenient, we could correspond via email. My address is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Rank

Joined 2011-08-03

You could also check out volunteer reviews and what other users have to say about their experiences abroad with the organization you are looking for here: tripabroadreviews.com. If your organization is not rated yet, make sure you rate it when you return!

I hope this is helpful!! smile