STA cash card & Expensive Thailand??!??

STA cash card & Expensive Thailand??!??

Rank

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2010-10-27

Hi

Has anyone used the STA cash card??? I have one but its not activated yet. I’ve just read some really bad reviews on it and am not going to use it. Can anyone advise on a different cash card that they have used or a better way to take money to Thailand, Oz and NZ??

Also I’ve heard that Thailand is getting expensive now, is anyone there now or have reccently come back? is it true? how much shall i budget for? Going to Chaing Mai and east and west islands. Also Malaysia and Singapore…..any advice???

Thanks!

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3961

Joined 2007-06-25

Regarding costs in Thailand, this was posted about an hour ago:
http://boards.gapyear.com//index.php?op=vt&c=&f=331&t=492755&o=0#492759

As for the STA Cash card, have a look on Boards> Independent Travel and Backpacking > Travel Money and Finances and look through the posts there.

Alternatively search ‘STA cash card’ or ‘STA card’ in the search box.

Lexi

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-01-07

why is the sta travel cash card no good? what kind of reviews have you read. ive just bought one so let us know then i might not bother with it.

Rank

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2010-10-27

Bamber, I read them on this site

http://www.statravelbuzz.co.uk/anyone-tried-the-new-sta-travel-cashcard/

I still haven’t decided on what to take, thinking of the escape card:

http://escape-travel-money-card.com/use.html

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-01-07

Hello! I have an STA Cash Card & it’s been amazing! & i’ve also just travelled Thailand for 5 weeks, which was soo much fun!
I don’t have a bad word to say about the card, every ATM took it, i never had a problem getting any money out either. I’m now in Australia and i’ve still not had any problems! The ATM’s here take it and i’ve always payed for various things on my card without any problems or hassle!
To me the STA Card has been fine & it’s easy for my mum to top it up back home aswell, i’ve not had to worry about anything!
In relation to the costs of Thailand, i spent about 800 pounds in 5 weeks and i went all over Asia and crossed the border to Loas aswell! The cost of living is dirt cheap, we were staying in places for around 200 baht a night which is 4 pounds and if you eat Thai food (rice & noodles dishes) it’ll bring down your costs even more, as they’re only about 70 - 100 baht, about 2 pounds!
Hope this helps & happy travelling!! x

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2011-02-03

I’ve just been looking today at travel cards and the following link was helpful:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1977

Joined 2008-04-17

Obviously prices are going to increase if you stay in the nicer accommodation (e.g. with air con, ensuite and a pool). It is still cheap compared to other parts of the world, but this could be where their price increases were happening?

I stayed in a beach hut on Koh Samui (god knows where, sorry!). It was a double bed, so I shared with another girl and it was $2 EACH a night. $4 for the whole bungalow. It was on the beach, the third row back, but we could still see the water (the front row were more expensive).
Obviously no air con in a wooden shack, and the bathrooms were shared. The bathrooms were in a big shed thingy, and they were cold which was fine for us as it was boiling!

If you are prepared to rough it a little bit, your costs will certainly stay down.

And there is nothing wrong with street food! Generally it is a high turn over of food, so stuff isn’t sitting there forever! Some places you watch them cook it for you (amazing street Pad Thai on Koh San Road!), and it is the freshest you will get. At least you can see the “kitchen”! In restaurants, you can’t. I had the most amazing hot-pot, stew, soup noodle thing at the China Town markets in KL.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2011-04-09

Hello! I have an STA Cash Card & it’s been amazing! & i’ve also just travelled Thailand for 5 weeks, which was soo much fun!
I don’t have a bad word to say about the card, every ATM took it, i never had a problem getting any money out either. I’m now in Australia and i’ve still not had any problems! The ATM’s here take it and i’ve always payed for various things on my card without any problems or hassle!
To me the STA Card has been fine & it’s easy for my mum to top it up back home aswell, i’ve not had to worry about anything!
In relation to the costs of Thailand, i spent about 800 pounds in 5 weeks and i went all over Asia and crossed the border to Loas aswell! The cost of living is dirt cheap, we were staying in places for around 200 baht a night which is 4 pounds and if you eat Thai food (rice & noodles dishes) it’ll bring down your costs even more, as they’re only about 70 - 100 baht, about 2 pounds!
Hope this helps & happy travelling!! x

I’m sorry but this just reeks of an STA Travel stooge!

Rank

Joined 2012-04-20

DO NOT GET STA CASHCARD! I have just come back from my travels (4.5 months away in N. America, Australasia and Asia) and can confirm that they are a waste of space and money. Firestly, their exchange rates are extremely bad leaving you out of pocket plus they charge £2.50 for every cash machine transaction regardless of amount withdrawn. They sometimes took up to 6 days to allocate the money to your account, leaving you to find other ways to pay for food and accomodation. Their systems crash very often leaving you unable to access any money at all too. Be warned. Don’t believe the good stuff writen by the STA stooges as shown below. This is a real review from someone that has experienced it.

Please please please don’t get this card. If you are wondering it may have just been me, think again. I met many other travellers who used the STA cash card too and they have experinced the same problems.

Im just spreading the word so that no one else gets ‘mugged off’ by this badly run service.

Good luck and remember to look elsewhere.

Alex

Rank

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2011-05-19

i got given an sta card for free when i booked my flights and for some reason theyve sent me 2, i will not be using it as i have read it takes 3% when loading online! and 2.50 per withdrawl! :/

im thinking of using the caxtonfx one as its free to use at atms and points of sale… anyone had any experience with this one?

Rank

Joined 2012-10-09

I have bought an STA cashcard a few months ago and am leaving for my trip next week.  After a day or two of research I have decided not to use my STA card as I had once intended as IT IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN MY DEBIT CARD IN EVERY WAY.

These are my findings based on spending various amounts in Brazil:

To spend 100 Brazilian Real
Card Transaction - Debit Card: £32.46
Card Transaction - STA Card: £33.48

ATM Withdrawl - Debit Card: £33.09
ATM Withdrawl - STA Card: £35.63

To spend 300 Brazilian Real
Card Transaction - Debit Card: £92.46
Card Transaction - STA Card: £100.15

ATM Withdrawl - Debit Card: £94.28
ATM Withdrawl - STA Card: £102.50

To spend 600 Brazilian Real
Card Transaction - Debit Card: £194.73
Card Transaction - STA Card: £200.29

ATM Withdrawl - Debit Card: £198.52
ATM Withdrawl - STA Card: £202.54

As you can see, it’s cheaper to use my debit card. 

STA don’t charge you for card transactions and have a competitive fixed amount for ATM withdrawls BUT their exchange rates (which are not the ones set by Mastercard) are so poor that even with the charges that by Bank do charge, it works out cheaper to go with my bank.

The STA card does have some advantages:
You can have a second card which you can give to someone at home or someone you are traveling with. 

It also costs £10 to close the account and costs £1 for every transfer from your account back to another bank account.

I am just going to use it as a backup for if I loose my Debit Card or if for whatever reason it doesn’t get accepted.

Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2013-09-14

Gutted I got an STA cash card before reading these posts! You learn from your mistakes I suppose. I think I’m going to get the Caxton fx cash card as they seem to be pretty good and use the STA as a back up just in case. Anyone got any thoughts on or used the Caxton fx card before?