ASK THE EXPERT: What are your questions for our health guru?

Post Reply New Thread

ASK THE EXPERT: What are your questions for our health guru?

Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2011-01-20

Laos: High risk all year round, less so in the capital Vientiane. Laos: Big river + jungle: mosquitoes love to live here.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3963

Joined 2007-06-25

Thanks for these answers Dr Seb - any idea about my query on the rabies vaccine?

Total Posts: 4602

Joined 2002-12-31

Doctor, what is the best way to relieve an itchy scrotum?

Thanks in advance.

Total Posts: 2628

Joined 2006-07-14

Ever since i left bangkok i’ve had this burning sensation when i piss,do you think its the climate? or the hooker?

Rank

Joined 2011-01-20

Well, perhaps your nurse is not a geography teacher. More often I find that patients have absolutely no idea where they are going to.

Anyway, there is a malaria risk in Costa Rica, albeit low. But then low risk is not no risk. There was an outbreak of malaria in 2006.

Dr iSeb

Rank

Joined 2011-01-20

Yes you will need malaria tablets.

I always point out that one of the biggest malaria research projects is in Thailand for the reason that there is a lot of malaria.

Laos certainly has malaria.

It is not illegal to travel with anti-malaria medication though most medication are only licensed to use up to 6 months or 1 year.

But yes, some people do animal research in the Jungles of South East Asia and they take anti malaria medication all the time.

Rank

Joined 2011-01-20

Hi Alexandra

Unfortunately you will need a booster every 2 years. Also, in case you get bitten, you will still need to seek medical advice.

Some people do animal research or volunteer in animal rescue centres and they will need boosters time after time. Obviously if you are going to work in an office in a big city somewhere, you won’t.

There is this notorious case of a female tourist on a package tour to Goa who got bitten by a stray dog at one of the markets and she died of rabies. So it can happen to any one really.

Rank

Joined 2011-01-20

Send us a picture smile

Can be loads of things. Depending on where you are what you do, it could be caused by wearing wet swim gear or scuba dive wet suits all the time.
Could be a fungal rash, in that case, try some antifungal cream like daktacort.

Honestly, we need more info.

Seb

Rank

Joined 2011-01-20

Don’t blame it on the weather.

You better get checked for STD’s.

Did I ever mention the word condom?

Dr Seb

Rank

Joined 2011-01-20

Thanks Denton

As I said earlier. Its not illegal to carry anti malarial tablets. But carrying loads of boxes with you for 12 months is not a good idea as they may get wet or damaged and take up a lot of space in someones backpack.

Dr Seb

Rank

Joined 2011-01-20

Coming back to your rabies question. The main thing is when tracking in the Sahara or Peru is that you may be a couple of days walk away from the nearest medical centre. In that case I would have a booster.

Rank

Joined 2011-01-20

Ah, is this related to your other problem?

You better get checked for this one too. I am sure local doctors have seen this all before.

Dr Seb

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2011-04-15

Hi,  I Have an allergy to mosquitoes, so when I get bitten they swell up and have turned black in some cases, this has happened the last 3times I have been to the Philippines, when having my vaccinations I asked if there was a prevention rather than cure but was told not, therefore I have ended up going to the doctors once away to have an injection and tablets to cure it rather than prevent. Any advice?? Insect repellent does not do the job unfortunately!!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 453

Joined 2008-08-26

Hello Doctor!

I’m hearing conflicting information on the rabies jab. Anything from lasting from a year to 10. I got mine done in 2008. Will i need another?

Thanks!

Darren.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 453

Joined 2008-08-26

Doctor!

I’d like to let you know that i have been bitten by a rabid tortoise as you’ve taken so long to get back to me!

How long have i got left???

:wink: