Pub Jobs London!

Pub Jobs London!

Rank

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2012-02-08

Hi there!
I’m currently in the UK on me gap year,  and would like to try a live-in pub job in London for a few months. Anybody got any suggestions?

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 580

Joined 2011-02-18

Ohhh. Good question. You’ll be fine. Just have a good CV, ideally with bar experience, and talk to bars / clubs when you’re in London. Also, popular backpacker bars like Walkabout would always be on the lookout of bar staff. Oh, and YHAs too, so try there!

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 635

Joined 2010-03-01

Weatherspoons and Yates are a chain which have at least one of them in each town/city in the UK. I know my local weatherspoons is always looking for staff and assume the ones in London will be too. It may not be live in but you should get a good few shifts there.
Walkabout would def be a good place to start, there are also australian bars in London which backpackers will prob have a good chance of getting a job in smile

Rank

Joined 2012-02-08

Awwww thanks guys! I don’t have any pub experience (a teensy bit under age at the minute!) But I’ve never really had trouble getting a job before smile I’ll check out the places suggested, sounds pretty good! I’ve been living in Australia for the past eight years, so while I did have a little silent groan (lol), I have to admit it could still be quite fun! Even if its not live in, I’m sure I could find a dorm to rent. I mean, I could… couldn’t I???

RankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-03-01

Yes there are hostels in London! Also check out the local papers for rooms to rent. They are more likely to do a weekly or monthly rent for you smile

Rank

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2011-09-28

Nikki.P - 10 February 2012 08:55 PM

I don’t have any pub experience (a teensy bit under age at the minute!) But I’ve never really had trouble getting a job before smile

How old are you at the moment? The age for serving alcohol in the UK is 18. Agreed with the above comments, I would go and work in a chain like Walkabout or Wetherspoons, they’re used to people coming and going for short periods of time. Wages in the UK are a bit random as minimum wage is dictated by age, so you could be doing the same job as someone else who is older and be getting less. Also you could try a chain which also serves food as you can get trained as a waitress as well as a barman.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 115

Joined 2011-09-12

Hello,

good place to look for jobs in london for backpackers is TNT magazine, great expat read:

http://www.tntmagazine.com/

jobs on the site as well or can pick up the magazine in Walkabout.

Pubs in the UK to look out for:

Barracuda
yates
weatherspoons
walkabout
revolutions

hope that helps : )

Rank

Joined 2012-02-08

Thanks for all the Advice - I’m turning 18 in a month and a half (not counting down or anything!), but I want to get my foot in the door so I’m all ready to go. I’ll definitely check out all the names suggested smile And will have to do a non-alcoholic pub crawl through London! Sorry for the late reply - will try to get better at replying to my own posts!
Thanks again all!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 453

Joined 2008-08-26

You’re chirpy. Good luck!

My advice; Don’t be picky, don’t get too down-hearted if you don’t have much luck and get talking to people.

London is a daunting place and could swallow you up quickly.

Keep smiling.

Darren.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1579

Joined 2006-07-14

As well as looking at chains, look at other pubs as well

Some of these suggestions (Walkabout, Yates, Barracuda, weathersponns) depending on the location represent some of the worst examples of English citizens

Hostel Bars could be fun, I also used to live in Shoreditch and there are some awesome bars and pubs

RankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-03-01

True Shoreditch is a funky area and there are loads of cool quirky little areas on London. The other thing is try and get out of London if you can! There are loads of nice cities in England, some are quaint (York, Bath, Norwich), some are Industrial (Leeds, Sheffield) and then there are the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District and Broads. All of which will have summer job opportunities to seek out.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2628

Joined 2006-07-14

If you are Australian then you will have absolutely no problem getting bar work in London. In the same way British travellers keep the farming industry in Oz moving Australian travellers keeps our thirsts quenched when in a London bar!