Total Posts: 13

Joined 2012-11-11

Hi,

So I got the following quoted up at STA

London - Bangkok (Feb)
Bangkok - Sydney (June)
Sydney - Santiago (July)
Rio - London (Nov)

It came in at around £2300, which feels on the high side to me. I may be completely wrong, but would appreciate any views, or any alternative routes which could take the price down.

Another question, in terms of rough rough budget, if I spent around 4 months each in SE Asia and S.America and a month in Australia, what would you be budgeting.

I would be looking to stay in fairly simple places, not the cheapest of the cheap but definitely not the high end places.

Any advice at all on both would be great

cheers

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 155

Joined 2011-07-20

takingtheplunge - 19 November 2012 11:20 PM

It came in at around £2300, which feels on the high side to me. I may be completely wrong, but would appreciate any views, or any alternative routes which could take the price down.

There’re a few good companies in the UK that’re worth looking at, I went with Round The World Experts in the end but do what I did and play them against each other to see what you can get, they’ll match each other’s prices. More importantly, use their experience and advice to see what ideas they can give you, there are cheaper routes out there but for some reason you have ask the right questions.

Another question, in terms of rough rough budget, if I spent around 4 months each in SE Asia and S.America and a month in Australia, what would you be budgeting.

I budget £700 a month in SE Asia and $2,500 for Australia (It’s terribly expensive unless you work), I’ve not been to South America.

Australia ate most of my budget especially if you want to do any activities (Sky diving, Rafting, barrier reef, Whit Sundays.) even the hostels seemed a rip off to me.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 936

Joined 2004-05-30

Oz is ridiculously expensive these days. I was out there on business this time last year for 10 days and spent around £500, excluding accommodation.

Now admittedly, you could do it cheaper as I ate out every night and took a few taxis but for a month I’d budget at least £1500.

SE Asia and South America are cheaper - £700 a month as above sounds fine for SE Asia. For South America it depends where you are. I found Chile, Argentina, Brazil and Colombia to be noticeably more expensive than Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador where I was getting 3 course set meals for $1!

Rank

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2012-11-11

Thanks both - really helpful. I will be spending be splitting my time fairly evenly between Peru, Ecaudor, Bolivia, Argentina and Brazil.

Seems australia is going to be the big big expense!