Good News All

Good News All

Rank

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2012-04-08

Its the 21st December 2012, the world hasn’t ended, I’ve finished all my Christmas shopping and best of all I’ve officially saved 10,000 as planned!

I’m thinking its now officially time to stop procrastinating and actually plan/book something soon!

The problem is the more money I save to more realistic it gets, and the more realistic it gets the more scared and worried I get about actually venturing off into the unknown alone…I think I seriously need to give my head a bit of a ‘shek’

Some please tell me to buy a snickers and ‘get some nuts’

;o

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 905

Joined 2010-09-07

You could always put the money you’ve saved towards a mortgage… or a car…

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 395

Joined 2011-09-07

Start with an organised tour somewhere, even if only for a couple of weeks, then you don’t have to worry about the first bit, it’ll ease you into travelling and you can meet some fellow travellers smile

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4601

Joined 2002-12-31

Fingfang - 21 December 2012 07:33 PM

You could always put the money you’ve saved towards a mortgage… or a car…

Eh? That’s not the kind of advice to give on a travel forum!

Fuck that. Book your tickets now and get away before you’re old and grey and wishing you did it earlier.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-09-07

Sorry, playing a bit of devils advocate… it’s an option right? And everyone should consider all options before making a big decision.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2010-09-07

Sorry, playing a bit of devils advocate… it’s an option right? And everyone should consider all options before making a big decision.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2009-11-24

i am in the same situation, saved the amount i planned and going in may but it has all become reality now that i am going to have to plan my trip, starting in india all seems a minefield and just thinking about it seems daunting but jut get on with it and start looking forward to your trip

Total Posts: 1074

Joined 2009-03-17

My boyfriend’s Grandma (whos’ in her 90’s) is the first person to support us with travelling- she says our country is going to pot, and that she think it’s great that all us young people have the world open to us and that we can go and just be happy, because life isn’t about just working.
For her, going to the seaside or the isle of wight was considered a big trip back then, so that really makes you appreciate what we’ve got at our disposal these days.

Total Posts: 1074

Joined 2009-03-17

Just re-reading your original post….

I had a client a few years back who was a huge traveller, started back in the 80’s I think.
She said her and her two girlfriends (all blonde) went to India with no plans, no phones…

Just think of how different it is for us guys today- can you imagine going to India without any phone, laptop, internet…?? We’re so teched up today, I really wouldn’t worry too much!

I bet travelling back then was so much fun!!

Total Posts: 6394

Joined 2005-12-31

*nikki180188* - 22 December 2012 11:29 PM

Just re-reading your original post….

I had a client a few years back who was a huge traveller, started back in the 80’s I think.
She said her and her two girlfriends (all blonde) went to India with no plans, no phones…

Just think of how different it is for us guys today- can you imagine going to India without any phone, laptop, internet…?? We’re so teched up today, I really wouldn’t worry too much!

I bet travelling back then was so much fun!!

You don’t have to go that far back. My first RTW in 2006 was without a laptop, phone, or any technology really. Almost every traveller I met was the same, the occasional person had a phone, but almost no one had a laptop. That was only 6 years ago.

Travelling evolves.

Total Posts: 2628

Joined 2006-07-14

laptops have ruined atmospheres in hostels i reckon. People are too busy writing blogs and shit to get invovled with the banter like it used to be. Iphones are even worse for that!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 105

Joined 2007-01-05

James1985 - 24 December 2012 01:36 AM

laptops have ruined atmospheres in hostels i reckon. People are too busy writing blogs and shit to get invovled with the banter like it used to be. Iphones are even worse for that!

Yep, I definitely noticed that when staying in Amsterdam, I went down to the bar and instead of striking up a conversation with some random person they all had their heads glued to their iPhones! Tsk.

I have saved well over £3000 now, wooo! Unfortunately, my car has decided to become financially unviable by continually breaking down and I need a new one. My mum thinks I should use my savings. I of course don’t want to. But I need a car! My job depends on it unfortunately. What to do :(.

Total Posts: 2689

Joined 2006-10-14

James1985 - 24 December 2012 01:36 AM

agree. laptops suck in hostels. and phones. have a fucking beer, people.

RankRank

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2012-05-20

GET.IT.BOOKED.
£10k didnt happen over night and you should be damn proud that youve managed to work long enough and hard enough to achieve your goal so dont talk yourself out of it now!
smile x

Total Posts: 6394

Joined 2005-12-31

Garybliss123 - 25 December 2012 07:10 PM

agree. laptops suck in hostels. and phones. have a fucking beer, people.

You’ll probably find that party starts up again the second you leave the room.

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 570

Joined 2009-01-07

You don’t have to go that far back. My first RTW in 2006 was without a laptop, phone, or any technology really. Almost every traveller I met was the same, the occasional person had a phone, but almost no one had a laptop. That was only 6 years ago.

Travelling evolves.

When I went on my first RTW in 2009 i didn’t take a phone or laptop etc. Even by then most people I met had these and couldn’t believe i didn’t have a phone.

I personally found it more fun - was like being a kid again so you would have to be on time or get left behind by your mates!