India

Rank

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-12-21

Hi,
Has anyone travelled round India via train? I have read that you must prebook the trains which I don’t really want to do as won’t know how long I will spend in each place until I am there. Was planning on booking as and when a few days in advance. Thanks

Rank

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2011-06-10

Having a look at the Lonely Planet guide and some resources I’ve looked at I dont think you need to book journeys for short distances because trains are really good in India but I think long distance ones you would because they are less frequent (such as from north to south). However, I cant say for definite because I’ve literally only been looking at going to India myself in the last day so I’m not 100% clued up.

Have you read the Lonely Planet guide? I’ve got the latest edition in eBook if you wanted me to email you a copy?

Rank

Joined 2012-12-21

Sherrifers - 21 December 2012 08:55 PM

Having a look at the Lonely Planet guide and some resources I’ve looked at I dont think you need to book journeys for short distances because trains are really good in India but I think long distance ones you would because they are less frequent (such as from north to south). However, I cant say for definite because I’ve literally only been looking at going to India myself in the last day so I’m not 100% clued up.

Have you read the Lonely Planet guide? I’ve got the latest edition in eBook if you wanted me to email you a copy?

I have the rough guide to India, it does recommend booking the longer trips like you say but also mentions you can still get trains on short notice especially if you are a traveller. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of this. Thanks very much for the offer though.

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 905

Joined 2010-09-07

http://www.indiamike.com

This website is for everything India. They have a brilliant section on understanding the train system and how to book them. Definately go read it!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-04-29

As far as booking trains in India are concerned, I could usually book for a train leaving the following day without any problems at all. Some people I met got seats on a train leaving the same day and my boyfriend got tickets on a long-distance train leaving the following day.

There are so many trains in India (lol understatement) and so much availability there. Don’t worry about it, stock up on snacks, try the tea and have fun.

Rank

Joined 2012-12-21

Napally - 22 December 2012 07:57 PM

As far as booking trains in India are concerned, I could usually book for a train leaving the following day without any problems at all. Some people I met got seats on a train leaving the same day and my boyfriend got tickets on a long-distance train leaving the following day.

There are so many trains in India (lol understatement) and so much availability there. Don’t worry about it, stock up on snacks, try the tea and have fun.

Thanks for that, that’s reassuring to hear as I had read so much about the need to prebook months in advance I was starting to panic.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 6394

Joined 2005-12-31

I was travelling around New Year in India and we had to book some routes months in advance, and they were all packed full. Depends what time of year you’re there, but if you know your plans in advance, I’d recommend booking in advance. It will also let you have a better chance of getting your preferred cabin.