from £1095 GBP
This exhilarating trip highlights the diverse cultures of three South East Asian countries, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand and it’s packed with heaps of adventure as we travel overland by train, road and boat. We begin in North Vietnam and discover the charms of graceful Hanoi before taking the train down to a city that’s steeped in history and culture, Vietnam’s former imperial capital, Hue. A short drive through some remarkable rural and coastal scenery brings us to Hoi An. We spend some time in this wonderfully preserved ancient port town, a favourite of every traveller to Vietnam.
Further south at the beach resort-city of Nha Trang we’ll cruise the offshore islands and relax in the sun before once again catching the overnight sleeper train down to the steamy southern city of Saigon. We drive overland into Cambodia and after spending a day exploring its capital Phnom Penh, continue by bus around South East Asia’s largest freshwater lake to Siem Reap. From here we’ll explore what is regarded as one of the world’s greatest archaeological monuments, the magnificent Angkor temple complexes.
Our adventure is by no means over yet as we journey to the former French colonial outpost of Battambang. From Battambang we drive to the Cambodian/Thai border town of Poipet over rough and undeveloped roads, in local mini-vans. The roads improve and we continue on to exciting Bangkok and journey’s end in the comfort of an air-conditioned coach.
4-5 Hoi An
6-8 Nha Trang
11-12 Cu Chi Tunnels - Phnom Penh
13-15 Siem Reap - Angkor
16 Siem Reap - Bangkok
Total tour price is GBP £1040 for departures up to 31 December 2011 and GBP £925 for departures from 01 January to 31 January 2012.
Private aircon bus
2 nights Sleeper train
15 nights Hotel
• Gecko’s expert English-speaking local tour guides throughout the tour, and local site guides at some sites.
• Sightseeing (including entrance fees where relevant): Hanoi; Hue’s Thien Mu Pagoda; Hai Van Pass; Hoi An; Saigon; Cu Chi Tunnels; Angkor temple complex; and Bangkok.
• Three journeys (including two overnight) on board the Reunification Express train.
• Bike ride around Hue and Dragon Boat cruise up the Perfume River.
• Day cruise on the South China Sea in Nha Trang, with a freshly-caught seafood lunch included (non-seafood options available).
• Cyclo tour of Phnom Penh including the Royal Palace and Tuol Sleng Prison. Visit to the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek and the Russian Market.