Spices of Ceylon
from £880 GBP
Price includes GBP £670 tour cost + USD $300 local payment, to be paid locally on day 1 of tour.
This fantastic tour covers the highlights of Sri Lanka from ancient cities to charming hill stations and awesome beaches. Sumptuous scenery, abundant wildlife, great food and welcoming people – Sri Lanka is a wonderful country. We start near to Colombo and head north, visiting an elephant orphanage along the way before exploring the ancient cities of Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa, as well as Sigiriya rock fortress and the Buddhist cave paintings at Dambulla. From there we head south into the hilly tea plantation region, visiting Matale’s spice gardens, Kandy and Nuwara Eliya, where we stay in a heritage bungalow. After trekking to the spectacular lookout at World’s End, we take a nature walk through a beautiful forested area and then hop aboard a train for the spectacular journey to Ella, which offers awesome views down to the south coast. We enjoy time on the beach before heading back toward Colombo for our flight home.
2-4 Ancient Sites
5-6 Dambulla - Kandy
7-9 Nuwara Eliya - World’s End - Ella
10-11 Ahangama - Galle
12 nights Hotels/guesthouses
• Gecko’s expert English-speaking local tour guide throughlout the tour, and local site guides at some sites.
• Sightseeing (including entrance fees where applicable): ancient city of Anuradhapura; Dambulla Cave Temples; and Matale Spice Garden.
• Walks to Mihintale – the birthplace of Sri Lankan Buddhism, Sigiriya (Lion Rock) rock fortress, and to ‘World’s End’ in Horton Plains Nature Reserve.
• Bike ride around the ancient city of Polonnaruwa.
• Visit to the elephant sanctuary at Pinnawela.
• Two nights in Kandy including a visit to the Temple of the Tooth to witness the daily Thewawa ceremony.
• A night in a rest house in Nuwara Eliya, with our own cook preparing Sri Lankan delicacies.
• A night in a rest house in Belihul Oya with access to a rock pool and a nature walk.
• Time to relax on the beaches of Unawatuna and free time to explore Colombo.
• Train from Haputale to Ella Ella.