Amtrak California Rail Pass
California Rail Passes
The California Rail Pass allows for up to 7 days of travel in California over a 21-day period.
- Capitols, San Joaquin, and Pacific Surfliner corridor trains
- Most connecting Thruway services
- Coast Starlight between Los Angeles and Dunsmuir, California
The California Rail Pass is NOT valid on long-distance trains, including the Sunset Limited, the Southwest Chief, the California Zephyr, and the Texas Eagle. On the Coast Starlight, travel to or from points outside California requires a separate fare, calculated between Dunsmuir and the out-of-state origin or destination.
- The California Rail Pass is valid for travel on any seven days during a consecutive 21-day period.
- Travel during any part of a calendar day counts as using that day.
- Travel is limited to not more than four one-way journeys on a given route segment.
- The pass is not transferable and must be used within one year of purchase.
Reservations and Tickets Required
In addition to holding the pass, you must make reservations on all trains. Please make your reservations well in advance to avoid sold-out conditions.
Also, you must obtain hard-copy tickets for all travel. Your pass is not valid without a corresponding ticket. A ticket is required for each travel segment and must be obtained prior to boarding. Please bring identification and be prepared to present it.
Refunds and Cancellation
The pass is refundable only if it has not been used for travel, and the pass and all tickets issued against it are returned to Amtrak. A penalty may apply to Sleeping Car accommodations not canceled at least seven days before departure.
This pass may not be combined with other offers, discounts or promotions unless specifically allowed under the terms and conditions of such offers, discounts or promotions. Further rules and restrictions may apply. Contact Amtrak for details. Passes subject to change without notice.
Work starter pack
Do you accept non UK citizens?
Do you accept applicants with disabilities?
Uncover the whole state of California
Travelpass Details Amtrak USA Passenger Rail is America’s national rail network, serving over 500 stations in 46 states on a 22,000 mile route network. The USA Rail Pass enables travellers to travel throughout the USA with maximum flexibility and comfort, at an affordable price.