Care for Elephants in Surin, Thailand
from £545 GBP
to £1695 GBP
You'll work hands-on with elephants, giving them lots of care, and also be helping to improve the living conditions of captive elephants in Thailand. You'll be working with 10 elephants, but you'll be surrounded by up to 200 elephants. The experience of being in the middle of such a huge number of these majestic creatures is awesome!
Your normal daily routine will start with walking to the work site - which is surrounded by hundreds of elephants! An awesome start to the day. During your work, elephants will be allowed to freely interact socially and you'll participate in basic elephant care.
- You'll feed the elephants and generally have lots of hands-on work with them. Elephants love people and they love social interaction. They can be very playful.
- You'll normally help to take the elephants out on walks with the mahouts about twice a day across the local rice fields and forests.
- The elephants love the water so you will normally take the elephants down to the local reservoir for clean up. This is not only great fun, the elephants love it too!
- You'll be helping to build a new Elephant Sanctuary. There is a lot of diverse work involved in this, including helping to restore the natural habitat that has been destroyed by over-logging. Thus, you'll also help by planting grass and other vegetation that helps to feed the elephants.
- You'll be asked to take on some community development work, not only to help strengthen ties within the local community but also to learn from them in the process.
- Other duties could involve helping to cut the grass and preparing other elephant foods, as well as actually feeding the elephants.
During the project you will have plenty of opportunities to learn about the elephants and the local communities and how they are trying to become ever more stainable with local resources, like making paper out of elephant dung!Accommodation
You'll live in home-stay accommodation within the centre and you'll usually be sharing your accommodation with another volunteer. Shared bathrooms with Western style toilets and Thai style bucket showers, but no hot water. Volunteers will share 2 to a room or have their own room depending on availability, but each room is equipped with mosquito nets and a fan. Accommodation is basic by most Western standards, but this is Thailand and you'll be expected to be open-minded and adapt as much as possible to village life.What to do next
Talk to us - We're there to help you. Most of our team are ex Travellers volunteers and are ideally qualified to offer advice and guidance because they know what you're looking for. They'll help you find your perfect project - and then make it all happen!
If you’d like to apply for this project. Visit our website and complete the application form. As soon as we receive it, we’ll liaise with you and then start making your travel adventure happen.
It’s as easy as that.
This placement can be extended for a minimal cost per week.
This placement would suit:
Volunteers who want to change the fate of elephants in Thailand!On this project, you’ll work hands-on with elephants by helping to improve the living conditions of captive elephants in Thailand, by working closely with mahouts, to help change the practice of using elephants for street begging and circus shows.
Do you accept non UK citizens?
Do you accept applicants with disabilities?
“The elephant work has been hot, sometimes tough, completely unique and dirty. I have loved every minute of it. From just walking out onto our balcony each morning and being surrounded by them, getting up close and personal with a few of the more friendly ones, getting to feed them, walk with them, provide infrastructure for their future and washing them in the river. We’ve learned a lot from Alex about the situation we have in front of us here, and why we’re taking this method to fix it. I have so much respect for him and his team here, and I’m sure everyone will agree that he’s just a top guy all round.”
~ by Ellie MacCarthy
accommodation, food, airport pickup
YOUR ADVENTURE STARTS HERE! Help children, animals and conservation around the world. Gain valuable work experience and new skills. All ages & nationalities welcome. EXPLORE a new culture from the inside on worthwhile, well-structured projects.
FLEXIBLE: From two weeks to one year - you choose your dates and duration.