Teach English to Children in Mombasa
from £695 GBP
to £1695 GBP
Our teaching placements are based on the Island of Mombasa within the suburbs. You will teach in schools where the children range from 3 years of age, up to about 16 and your help is an important part of their development. If you'd like to teach younger children, you'd be especially appreciated! Most schools in Mombasa are quite small and so you will instantly feel as though you are part of the family! They generally range from 100 to 300 pupils at one given time. This means that class sizes are also fairly small and very manageable, normally ranging from 20 to 40, although occasionally you may have smaller classes.
You have a choice from two types of teaching placement:
- Kindergarten and children up to the age of 16 in a formal teaching environment.
- Social care work with street children, in schools and on the streets
You will normally assist the Kenyan teachers to start with, but depending on your ability you may be given complete control of a particular class or group. You will receive a lot of help and support from the Kenya teachers and staff at the schools to help you prepare for your lessons and settle you into your role as teacher; and, like all Kenyans, they are very friendly and patient and are always willing to help.
The children have a fantastic air about them, and you will be immediately welcomed in by groups of children running up to greet the new teacher. The children and teachers are so grateful of the help that it will be hard to stop them smiling! The teachers and children will make you very welcome and you will spend a lot of your time visiting families and generally socialising. A "Typical Day" in the life of a teaching placement - by an ex-Travellers volunteer:
- Get up at 6.45, take a bath, have breakfast etc.
- Arrive at school at 7.45.
- I then taught lessons until lunch, which was 12 - 2pm.
- Afternoon lessons were from 2 - 5, but I was able to leave at 4pm. I usually then planned my lessons for the next day or did marking etc.
- After that I went swimming or to the gym before dinner.
- Evenings I either watched TV or went out!!
- Weekends I went to the beach, friends houses etc.
- An exciting, never-to-be-forgotten adventure into Latin America.
- New skills, more confidence, a greater understanding of a different culture, invaluable personal and professional development.
- An entry on your CV or résumé that will put you head and shoulders above most others in the job market
- The enormous satisfaction of helping disadvantaged children and knowing that you made a difference to them
- And best of all ... an unforgettable experience!
Talk to us - We're there to help you. Most of our team are ex Travellers volunteers and are ideally qualified to offer advice and guidance because they know what you're looking for. They'll help you find your perfect project - and then make it all happen!
If you’d like to apply for this project. Visit our website and complete the application form. As soon as we receive it, we’ll liaise with you and then start making your travel adventure happen.
It’s as easy as that.
This placement can be extended for any length of time (many of our volunteers do!), subject to availability and any visa restrictions that may apply.
When you’re on your placement, if you’d like to extend your time, you can do so at a minimal cost per additional week.
All the time
This placement would suit:
People who want to make a real difference, want first-hand experience of real African culture and who have initiative. You can also learn Swahili while you’re there. No qualifications or previous experience are necessary, just a good dose of enthusiasm!
Do you accept non UK citizens?
Do you accept applicants with disabilities?
“For the first week I was working with the children, everyday I came up with something new for us to do in the form of art. It was great fun as I got to act like a kid again and throw paint around, we managed to make chainmen, paper mache, cards, and envelopes. I mixed up two bowls of paint and got everyone to dip their hands in and leave a handprint on the poster - even the adults joined in and now they’re proudly displaying their work.”
~ by Kayshani Gibbon
accommodation, food, airport pickup
YOUR ADVENTURE STARTS HERE! Help children, animals and conservation around the world. Gain valuable work experience and new skills. All ages & nationalities welcome. EXPLORE a new culture from the inside on worthwhile, well-structured projects.
FLEXIBLE: From two weeks to one year - you choose your dates and duration.