Volunteer Teaching & Community Project, Zanzibar Tanzania
from £780 GBP
to £1665 GBP
Volunteer Teaching & Community Project, Zanzibar Tanzania
Duration: from 2.00 Weeks to 6.00 Weeks
Countries: TanzaniaThere's nothing better than combining a rewarding volunteer experience with white sandy beaches and a tropical climate! Located on the East coast of Zanzibar Island, in a village set on a pristine stretch of coastline, this project gives you the chance to assist with teaching, childcare, community development and sports coaching projects.
Zanzibar Island is part of a beautiful tropical archipelago of islands and its capital, Zanzibar Town (known to many as Stone Town), is a fascinating place, with an intriguing blend of Indian, Arab, and African influences. From this project you are also within easy access to Tanzania's mainland and spectacular African safari opportunities.
- Gain teaching experience in various nursery schools and a tourism training institute
- Teach English to not only children and scholars, but also teachers and other community leaders
- Assist in improving educational facilities in the community
- Enjoy some cycling to and from your volunteer projects
- Developmental games with pre-primary school children & sport-afternoons on the beach
- Playing a role in keeping the beach and village environment clean
- Get a glimpse of life on the island, and have the opportunity to make a tangible difference in a community
- Get a taste of the Zanzibar culture; learn a bit of Kiswahili!
- A great platform to not only explore other areas of the archipelago and try your hand at some water sports, but also to experience some of the finest safari destinations on the continent.
- Project Fee: this entails financing that goes directly back into the project that you are involved with. This project fee facilitates funding for items such as building materials, equipment, supplies, foodstuffs, etc. Project fees are also used to buy vehicles/equipment and for developing new housing for volunteers to provide for the expansion of the project.
- All airport transfers to and from Zanzibar Airport / Ferry Port.
- Orientation program
- Any daily transport that might be required as part of the project during your stay
- Full board and lodging which includes 3 meals a day in Jambiani at your African Impact Base
- Weekly laundry service during your stay
- Assistance in your projects by various African Impact staff and volunteer coordinators
- Full support from African Impact and your coordinator throughout your time on your Zanzibar placement
Where will I sleep?
During your time on the project you will be staying in Jambiani at the project base in shared accommodation with other volunteers. You will be based in beach bungalows in the local village. The bungalows are set just off the beach, but one can see the ocean from the front door and the beach/sea is literally on the doorstep. Volunteers will room with 2 to 3 others and each bungalow has a bathroom en suite. Rooms are comfortable but basic. They are furnished with shelves to put your clothes on and you will be sleeping on bunk beds. We have mosquito nets and fans in the rooms.
You will be able to sit outside at the tables in the back yard in the shade for meal times. Three cooks work on site to prepare regular meals in our kitchen, which will be enjoyed at a communal outside eating area overlooking the sea. You will have housekeeping and laundry done on a regular basis. Bedding will be provided but you should bring your own towel.
Our Project Manager will be living on the premises and the office will also be based there. There will also be a resource room to keep items needed for project work and this can be used as a great space for lesson preparation. With the added backyard space you will be able to sleep outside on the beach recliners on really hot evenings should you wish to do so. You will get some amazing star gazing opportunities!
This placement would suit:
There are 4 pre-schools in Jambiani. Volunteers support the local teachers in educating the local children. TEFL Graduate Volunteers are most welcome! With easy access to Tanzania’s mainland and safari opportunities, our project base is on the east coast of the island in a long village set on a pristine stretch of coastline. In these spectacular surroundings we invite you to join our work in various teaching, community and environmental programmes.
Do you accept non UK citizens?
Do you accept applicants with disabilities?
It would depend on the severity of the disability.
“I loved being on this project, Megan, Timo, Debora and Abdullah are absolutely brilliant. Working with the children here has been amazing and something I could never have experienced without African Impact. I think I have made some friends here who I will stay in contact with for a very long time which is great. I pushed my limits a couple times and did things which made me proud. I will definitely be coming back!”
~ by Charlotte Miller
accommodation, food, airport pickup
African Impact is a multi-award winning volunteer travel organisation offering meaningful interactive volunteer projects throughout Africa. Founded in 2004 at Antelope Park in Zimbabwe, we have over 8 years’ experience and having facilitated over 10,000 volunteers in over 12 countries across the continent, making us the largest on-the-ground African specialists in volunteer tourism. We offer a range of conservation and community volunteering and internship programs and also facilitate group and family travel. To us, volunteering is a two-way thing. It’s not just about the hands-on help and skills that volunteers bring; it’s also about what this amazing continent, its people and its wildlife can give those volunteers in return. We want to empower our volunteers to make a difference and have them bring about long lasting positive change on local communities and the physical environments in which we work.