Care for Children with Cerebral Palsy in Auckland
from £1295 GBP
to £2295 GBP
Assist with severely disabled children and contribute to their overall development. You’ll help looking after, caring for and teaching children with Cerebral Palsy in beautiful New Zealand. This is a challenging yet totally rewarding and inspiring project where you can really make a difference.
The school you'll work with offers education & therapy for students who are severely disabled with Cerebral Palsy. Some have physical disabilities, but some have cognitive potential comparable to chronological age. Many have hi-tech assistive communication devices.
The school has approximately 63 children in 10 classes, a parent and baby group, plus a preschool class. They provide specialised programmes in classrooms with a high teacher-to-pupil ratio and therapy involvement in all classes. Class teams comprise Teacher, Speech Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist and Teacher Aides.
You’ll be working mainly as a Teaching Aid but also get the opportunity to observe and assist the various therapists as they work with students and the team of staff to facilitate student learning. In the classes much of the day is spent on "caring" activities like:
- Positioning students in standing frame or appropriate seating in readiness for learning activity
- Transferring, lifting and supporting students in accordance with their needs.
- Assisting with meal times
- Changing nappies (optional for volunteers)
You’ll also be involved with some or all of the following:
- Assisting with classroom preparation as directed by teacher
- Working in the class with children at allocated time
- Assisting students in accessing curriculum and therapy programmes as directed by teacher or therapists
- >Maintaining and cleaning equipment and resources as and when necessary.
- An exciting, never-to-be-forgotten adventure into Australian culture.
- You'll learn a lot from experts in your field about how they work in a cultural environment that's different to what you're used to.
- New skills, more confidence, a greater understanding of a different culture, invaluable personal and professional development.
- An entry on your CV or résumé that will put you head and shoulders above most others in the job market
- And best of all ... an unforgettable experience!
You'll live in a centrally located hostel that is friendly and relaxing, making it ideal for long-term stays. You will be sharing a room with other volunteers. There is a communal kitchen and storage area for cooking meals and plenty of space to relax.What to do next
Talk to us - We're there to help you. Most of our team are ex Travellers volunteers and are ideally qualified to offer advice and guidance because they know what you're looking for. They'll help you find your perfect project - and then make it all happen!
If you’d like to apply for this project. Visit our website and complete the application form. As soon as we receive it, we’ll liaise with you and then start making your travel adventure happen.
It’s as easy as that.
This project is for 4 weeks to one year. It is possible to extend the project once you are over there week by week as you wish.
If you want to extend this project whilst you are on your placement you can do so for a minimal fee per extra week.
Included: Accommodation, Meeting you at the Airport, Transfer to your accommodation, Full pre-departure support, Local in-country team support and backup & 24-hr emergency support.
This placement would suit:
Anyone who wants to make a difference whilst also absorbing the culture of New Zealand from the inside. No specific qualifications required, but you should have lots of patience and enthusiasm to help. All Nationalities are accepted. Minimum age is 18.
Do you accept non UK citizens?
Do you accept applicants with disabilities?
accommodation, airport pickup
YOUR ADVENTURE STARTS HERE! Help children, animals and conservation around the world. Gain valuable work experience and new skills. All ages & nationalities welcome. EXPLORE a new culture from the inside on worthwhile, well-structured projects.
FLEXIBLE: From two weeks to one year - you choose your dates and duration.