Care for Kids and Orphans in Diani
from £675 GBP
to £1695 GBP
Social care projects are available with some of Kenya's poorest and most disadvantaged children, many of whom have become orphans after the devastating HIV/AIDS virus has affected their families. These children are often left without surviving relatives that can look after them and, with no means to look after themselves, they are forced to live on the streets. Such a life can lead to drugs, abuse and extreme poverty.
The main objective of these projects is to improve the lives of street children in any way possible. Your work helps the carers with the day to day running of the homes/centres, as well as assisting with some basic care of the children. The other important aspect of the placement is to give attention to many of the children who have come from very traumatic backgrounds by interacting with them in an informal setting. Anyone with any medical knowledge would also be greatly appreciated at the Centres' dispensaries.What will I do
To give you an idea of some of the things you'll be helping to do on this project:
- Preparing food for the children and helping them eat.
- General cleaning, washing dishes, etc.
- Helping the permanent staff care for the children.
- Bathing the children and washing their clothes
- Organizing and facilitating games and plays for the children.
- Playing with the children - here you can use your imagination and involve them in lots of different activities
- Helping some of the children with their homework.
- Getting involved in drawing and painting or even music if you have skills in that area.
- Working with the younger children/babies – helping to change them, feed and bath them.
- An exciting, never-to-be-forgotten adventure into the essence of Africa.
- The enormous satisfaction of helping disadvantaged children and knowing that you made a difference to them
- New skills, more confidence, a greater understanding of a different culture, invaluable personal and professional development.
- An entry on your CV or résumé that will put you head and shoulders above most others in the job market
- And maybe best of all ... an unforgettable experience!
Your accommodation will vary, but you will most likely live with a local Kenyan family. This will give you the opportunity to experience the true African experience from the inside and not just as a "tourist" on the surface of the country.Additional activities you can add on to this project
You could add to your travel experience in Kenya by adding one of these to your experience:
- 1-Week Swahili Language Course
- Scuba diving course
Talk to us - We're there to help you. Most of our team are ex Travellers volunteers and are ideally qualified to offer advice and guidance because they know what you're looking for. They'll help you find your perfect project - and then make it all happen!
If you’d like to apply for this project. Visit our website and complete the application form. As soon as we receive it, we’ll liaise with you and then start making your travel adventure happen.
It’s as easy as that.
This placement can be extended for any length of time (many of our volunteers do!), restricted only by any possible visa requirements.
All the time
This placement would suit:
People who want to make a real difference and want first-hand experience of Kenyan culture. You can also learn Swahili while you’re there. No qualifications or previous experience are necessary, just a good dose of enthusiasm!
Do you accept non UK citizens?
Do you accept applicants with disabilities?
“My time at the school was wonderful. Two weeks was definitely not enough time. Kenya was beautiful and everyone is overly friendly. Before I left, the children wrote me letters and pictures and brought a tear to my eye. I have made so many memories and I’m so glad there is a program such as yours Travellers that allowed me to make these memories.”
“You go there expecting to help them and change their life, but what I discovered is that they had changed my life more than I could ever explain!!”
“LOVE the UK support staff. Everyone was very helpful on the phone. Even when I had issues with a delayed flight, it went well. Thanks!”
~ by Desiree Ochs
accommodation, food, airport pickup
YOUR ADVENTURE STARTS HERE! Help children, animals and conservation around the world. Gain valuable work experience and new skills. All ages & nationalities welcome. EXPLORE a new culture from the inside on worthwhile, well-structured projects.
FLEXIBLE: From two weeks to one year - you choose your dates and duration.