Community, Environmental and Adventure Projects
from £1850 GBP
to £3150 GBP
Community, Environmental and Adventure Projects
Duration: from 5 Weeks to 10 Weeks
Countries: Costa Rica, NicaraguaRaleigh is a youth and sustainable development charity that provides adventure and challenge expeditions for people from all backgrounds, nationalities and ages. Our unique expedition to Costa Rica & Nicaragua offers the opportunity to visit and contribute to the communities of two very different Central American countries. You will combine first hand experience of remote community life in Nicaragua, one of the region’s poorest countries, with the rewards of worthwhile environmental projects and challenging treks in the amazing bio diverse area of Costa Rica.
Call: 0845 344 7600
Raleigh is a youth and sustainable development charity that provides adventure and challenge expeditions for people from all backgrounds, nationalities and ages, especially young people. Our unique expedition to Costa Rica & Nicaragua offers the opportunity to visit and contribute to the communities of two very different Central American countries. You will combine first hand experience of remote community life in Nicaragua, one of the region’s poorest countries, with the rewards of worthwhile environmental projects and challenging treks in the amazing bio diverse area of Costa Rica.
Our 10 week expedition consists of three distinct projects, each lasting three weeks.
An in-country induction and training week before the first phase prepares venturers for Raleigh life and a review at the end of the final phase allows time for reflection before departing for onward travel or home. Whether part of your summer vacation, career break or gap year, Raleigh’s 10 week expedition is a worthwhile and unforgettable experience.
Here is a taste of what’s ahead on the 10 week expedition
Living in the heart of some of the most remote areas in Costa Rica and Nicaragua, our community projects provide a unique opportunity to work alongside members of communities to provide basic facilities such as access to clean water and education. Your work will help improve the quality of life and provide valuable resources for many generations to come.
You could be constructing fresh water systems and local school facilities, living with villagers in the beautiful subsistence farming communities of the Miraflor reserve in Nicaragua, learning Spanish and enjoying a unique cross cultural experience. In Costa Rica you may work in partnership with indigenous communities to improve the health and educational services in the Indigenous Reserves of Conte Burika.
With amazing bio diversity and over 27% of the country designated a protected territory, Costa Rica offers projects which are designed to preserve the local habitat and make it more accessible. You could help build trails and bridges across the country’s National Parks network, help transform the former penal island of San Lucas, a stunning tropical expanse, into a wildlife refuge, or build a ranger station in the jungle terrain of Piedras Bancas. On the Caribbean coast you could help to preserve the migration place of the endangered leather backed turtle. After a rewarding day’s work, retiring to hand-made bashers will complete the memorable experience.
The adventure phase in Costa Rica and Nicaragua consists of a trek which covers over 250 kilometres in 19 days. You will learn navigation, camping and survival skills along the way, teamwork, determination and a good sense of humor are essential. The early starts, tough climbs and long treks each day are all worthwhile when rewarded with incredible views, abundant wildlife and an enormous sense of achievement upon arrival at the beautiful beaches; this truly gives each person the belief they can overcome any future challenge they may be faced with.
Short of time?
If you’re short of time, Raleigh also offers shorter expeditions. You can opt for our five week expedition which combines a community or environment project with an exhilarating, team-based adventure challenge or a seven week expedition which is a combination of two phases of your choice. We run 5, 7 and 10 week expeditions in Borneo, Costa Rica & Nicaragua, and India throughout the year.
Why choose Raleigh International?
· Worthwhile and sustainable projects : Our permanent field base in country enables us to build long-term partnerships with the government, NGOs and local communities and thus deliver projects that meet a genuine need and are sustainable.
· Access to remote areas: Thanks to our partnerships we often work in national parks and areas which other tourists don’t have access to.
· Safety in everything we do: We have 26 years experience in running expeditions and have represented the industry in developing safety standards.
· A cross-cultural experience: Venturers on expedition are at different life stages and come from a range of backgrounds and nationalities, including the host country, so you’ll experience a unique exchange of cultures and develop social and global awareness.
· Valuable life skills to help you stand out from the crowd: test your leadership, teamwork, adaptability and problem solving skills and increase your self confidence.
· Raleigh International is a registered charity, solely dependent on fundraising activities to cover the cost of its overseas programmes and field bases
· We ask venturers to make the contributions detailed above and fund their own international flight, vaccinations and personal kit
· Raleigh provides medical and travel insurance, pre departure support and training, all food and accommodation, specialist equipment and in country transport
· We offer support and advice on fundraising every step of the way. Visit our website for fundraising ideas and remember you can claim Gift Aid on any donation made.
7 and 5 week programmes also available
10 weeks £3150, 7 weeks, £2350, 5 weeks £1850 - see separate listings
All the time
This placement would suit:
Anyone aged 17-24 with a thirst for team-based adventure and volunteering projects off the beaten track. You’ll be contributing to worthwhile community and environment projects as well as experiencing an adrenalin-fuelled adventure phase including a challenging coast to coast trek.
Do you accept non UK citizens?
Do you accept applicants with disabilities?
see website for details
‘I can remember one day trekking, in the pouring rain and we’d gone two hours the wrong way down a muddy, slippery slope… However, as a group, we all decided we could do it, we put a smile on our faces (or at least tried) and trekked through thick jungle and then out into one of the most spectacular views I’ve ever seen.’
~ by Jenny Reynolds
insurance, accommodation, food, kit, airport pickup
For over 28 years more than 35,000 young people have participated in our unique overseas programmes of sustainable community and environmental projects combined with adventure in Borneo, Costa Rica & Nicaragua and Tanzania. Join us for a challenging experience in remote destinations where you’ll contribute to local communities, make new friends and develop life skills.