Environmental or Community Projects
from £1850 GBP
to £3150 GBP
Raleigh International is a youth and sustainable charity that provides adventure and challenge expeditions for people from all backgrounds, nationalities and ages, especially young people. Expedition life in Costa Rica offers the opportunity to experience the amazing bio diversity of Costa Rica. You have the choice of a three week community project amongst the subsistence farming communities of Nicaragua or an environmental project preserving Costa Rica’s protected territories.
The adventure project is a perfect finale: working with a team you have got to know well, it will challenge both mental and physical stamina and test leadership and teamwork skills amidst remarkable scenery on land and in the water. Full training as part of an in-country induction is provided on arrival. Whether part of your summer vacation, career break or gap year, Raleigh’s five week expedition is a worthwhile and unforgettable experience.
Here is a taste of what’s ahead on the five week expedition.
Living in the heart of some of the most remote areas in Costa Rica. These projects provide a unique opportunity to work alongside members of communities to help provide basic facilities such as access to clean water and education. The hard work of the Raleigh groups helps to improve quality of life and provide valuable resources for many generations to come. You will be working in partnership with indigenous communities to improve the health and educational services in the Indigenous Reserves.
With an amazing bio diversity and over 27% of the country designated a protected territory, Costa Rica offers projects which are designed to preserve the local habitat and make it more accessible. You could help build trails and bridges across the country’s National Parks network, help transform the former penal island of San Lucas, a stunning tropical expanse, into a wildlife refuge, or build a ranger station in the jungle terrain of Piedras Bancas. On the Caribbean coast you could help to preserve the migration place of the endangered leather backed turtle. After a rewarding day’s work, retiring to hand-made bashers completes the memorable experience.
This eight day team based challenge takes in the varied landscape of Costa Rica - from mountain peaks to river crossings - and sees teams involved in a variety of group tasks to test mental and physical stamina. Negotiating the country’s stunning valleys, dense jungles and remote islands, this final stage of the expedition will see you exposed to the elements and getting a real taste of life on the wild side.
More time to spare?
If you have longer than five weeks, why not participate in Raleigh’s full 10 week expedition and experience the full rewards of our unique three phase programme of community, environment and adventure projects. Seven week programmes are also available, so you can join any one or two phases of the full expedition. As well as Costa Rica & Nicaragua, Raleigh runs five and 10 week expedition in Borneo and Tanzania. Please see separate listings.
Why choose Raleigh International?
· Worthwhile and sustainable projects : Our permanent field base in country enables us to build long-term partnerships with the government, NGOs and local communities and thus deliver projects that meet a genuine need and are sustainable.
· Access to remote areas: Thanks to our partnerships we often work in national parks and areas which other tourists don’t have access to.
· Safety in everything we do: We have 24 years experience in running expeditions and have represented the industry in developing safety standards.
· A cross-cultural experience: Venturers on expedition are at different life stages and come from a range of backgrounds and nationalities, including the host country, so you’ll experience a unique exchange of cultures and develop social and global awareness.
· Valuable life skills to help you stand out from the crowd: test your leadership, teamwork, adaptability, planning and problem solving skills and increase your self confidence.
· Raleigh International is a registered charity, solely dependent on fundraising activities to cover the cost of its overseas programmes and field bases
· We ask venturers to make the contributions detailed above and fund their own international flight, vaccinations and personal kit
· Raleigh provides medical and travel insurance, pre departure support and training, all food and accommodation, specialist equipment and in country transport
· We offer support and advice on fundraising every step of the way. Visit our website for fundraising ideas and remember you can claim Gift Aid on any donation made.
10 and 7 weeks also available
5 weeks £1850 (10 weeks £3150, 7 weeks £2350 - see separate listing
All the time
This placement would suit:
Anyone aged 17-24 with a thirst for team-based adventure and volunteering projects off the beaten track. You’ll contribute to worthwhile environment or community projects and experience the physical demands of a competitive 8 day team based adventure challenges in remarkable territory.
Do you accept non UK citizens?
Do you accept applicants with disabilities?
see website for details
“The experiences that Raleigh’s Overseas Programme offered were unique and made complete by my fellow participants’ different backgrounds. The expedition gave me a purpose that I have never felt in normal life. I have come away from a truly memorable experience with much improved confidence, leadership skills and sense of team-work”.
~ by Anna Gribble
insurance, accommodation, food, kit, airport pickup
For over 28 years more than 35,000 young people have participated in our unique overseas programmes of sustainable community and environmental projects combined with adventure in Borneo, Costa Rica & Nicaragua and Tanzania. Join us for a challenging experience in remote destinations where you’ll contribute to local communities, make new friends and develop life skills.