Environmental or Community volunteering projects, Borneo
from £1850 GBP
to £3150 GBP
Raleigh International is a youth and sustainable development charity that provides adventure and challenge expeditions for people from all backgrounds, nationalities and ages, especially young people. Since 2003, Raleigh has run over 20 expeditions in Sabah, North Borneo. The region boasts Mount Kinabalu - the highest mountain in south-east Asia - and the oldest rainforests in the world, making Malaysia a magnet for travelers for many years. The beauty of Raleigh's Malaysian expedition is the opportunity to visit these natural wonders and work in some of the country’s most remote parts.
As well as full training as part of an in-country induction, you have the choice of a three week environmental or community project - both allow you to get under the skin of the country and make a lasting contribution on projects that you will see through to completion. An 8 day jungle and team based adventure challenge completes the expedition. Whether part of your summer vacation, career break or gap year, Raleigh’s five week expedition is a worthwhile and unforgettable experience.
Here is a taste of what’s ahead on the five week expedition.
Access to clean water and adequate schooling are two of the biggest challenges facing Sabah’s remotest communities. Raleigh is helping to improve the health and daily lives of the villagers in cut off communities by building schools and water systems. You’ll be living and working alongside villagers in Sabah’s remote communities, gaining a unique insight into the lives of the indigenous people, establishing life long friendships and making a lasting contribution.
With the rich biodiversity and abundant wildlife of its rainforests, Sabah offers ample opportunities to help preserve the local habitat or make it more accessible working alongside resident scientists and rangers. You could take part in research projects in the highly protected area of Danum Valley or build a trail for scientists in Imbak Canyon to help preserve its pristine virgin jungle for future generations.
The challenge of a trail blazing trek combined with some water based activities that will test both mental and physical stamina. Your perseverance is rewarded with astonishing views and a great sense of achievement. Competitive team-based challenges set within the surrounding jungle build on teamwork and leadership skills and will mean an exciting adrenalin filled end to your expedition.
More time to spare?
If you have longer than five weeks, why not participate in Raleigh’s full 10 week expedition and experience the full rewards of our highly popular and unique three phase programme of community, environmental and adventure projects. Seven week programmes are also available, so you can join any two phases of the full expedition. As well as Malaysia, where the full 10 week expedition includes an opportunity to learn or further progress your Scuba diving skills, Raleigh runs five and 10 week programmes in Costa Rica and India. Please see separate listings.
Why choose Raleigh International?
· Worthwhile and sustainable projects : Our permanent field base in country enables us to build long-term partnerships with the government, NGOs and local communities and thus deliver projects that meet a genuine need and are sustainable.
· Access to remote areas: Thanks to our partnerships we often work in national parks and areas which other tourists don’t have access to.
· Safety in everything we do: We have 24 years experience in running expeditions and have represented the industry in developing safety standards.
· A cross-cultural experience: Venturers on expedition are at different life stages and come from a range of backgrounds and nationalities, including the host country, so you’ll experience a unique exchange of cultures and develop social and global awareness.
· Valuable life skills to help you stand out from the crowd: test your leadership, teamwork, adaptability and problem solving skills and increase your self confidence.
· Raleigh International is a registered charity, solely dependent on fundraising activities to cover the cost of its overseas programmes and field bases
· We ask venturers to make the contributions detailed above and fund their own international flight, vaccinations and personal kit
· Raleigh provides medical and travel insurance, pre departure support and training, all food and accommodation, specialist equipment and in country transport
· We offer support and advice on fundraising every step of the way. Visit our website for fundraising ideas and remember you can claim Gift Aid on any donation made.
10 and 7 weeks also available
5 weeks £1850 (10 weeks £3150, 7 weeks £2350, see separate listing
All the time
This placement would suit:
anyone aged 17-24 with a thirst for team-based adventure and volunteering projects off the beaten track. You’ll be contributing to worthwhile community or environment projects as well as experiencing a unique adventure which takes in a challenging trek through some of the country’s diverse landscapes.
Do you accept non UK citizens?
Do you accept applicants with disabilities?
see website for details
“I learnt so much about my environment, the people and myself. Next time I may well go as a staff member. This experience has had a very positive effect on me and I would definitely recommend it to others as it has been life changing. It is exciting, fun, inspiring, challenging and motivating and it is the best thing I have done.”
~ by Rita Mistry
insurance, accommodation, food, kit, airport pickup
There are currently no photos in this gallery.
For over 28 years more than 35,000 young people have participated in our unique overseas programmes of sustainable community and environmental projects combined with adventure in Borneo, Costa Rica & Nicaragua and Tanzania. Join us for a challenging experience in remote destinations where you’ll contribute to local communities, make new friends and develop life skills.