Orphanage and Care Work in Ja-Ela
from £895 GBP
to £1845 GBP
The children in Sri Lanka have the biggest smiles and the cutest brown eyes… they will melt your heart the moment you meet them! We work with a local NGO that has numerous wonderfully worthwhile care projects in Sri Lanka. We work with four different projects, so pick from:
- Abandoned Children's Project - An orphanage for young children that have been abandoned. You'll help to provide vital care, love and support to these adorable children.
- Teenage Mother's Project - A remarkable opportunity to work with teenagers who have been incestuously raped. Out of an abominably distressing situation this centre is bring hope to these mothers, providing them a safe and happy environment during and after pregnancy.
- Street Children Project - The opportunity to work with delightful children who have had a hard time in life. The centre provides them a safe place to visit Monday - Friday, to receive three square meals, an education and to meet other friends!
- Disabled School - A wonderful school that provides physically disabled children an education. There are 30 children between the ages of 3 and 20 and with 5 teachers (and occasionally parents to help out and make the tea,) this gives the children the perfect opportunity to learn in an informal, relaxed environment.
All of these fantastic projects are perfect if you have a passion for children and a desire to help a less fortunate community. You may have the chance to work at one or all of the projects. If you have a special interest please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate it!What you'll gain from doing this Project:
- An exciting, never-to-be-forgotten adventure into Latin America.
- The enormous satisfaction of helping disadvantaged children and knowing that you made a difference to them.
- New skills, more confidence, a greater understanding of a different culture, invaluable personal and professional development.
- An entry on your CV or résumé that will put you head and shoulders above most others in the job market
- And best of all ... an unforgettable experience!
You'll live in a traditional Sri Lankan house in Ja-Ela. It is spacious and comfortable, with a garden, several balconies, two lounge rooms and many bedrooms. You will most likely share a room with other Travellers volunteers. There is a TV and DVD player for evening entertainment, in the upstairs lounge area and with the latest DVD copies just a pound to buy locally, there is usually something to watch!What to do next
Talk to us - We're there to help you. Most of our team are ex Travellers volunteers and are ideally qualified to offer advice and guidance because they know what you're looking for. They'll help you find your perfect project - and then make it all happen!
If you’d like to apply for this project. Visit our website and complete the application form. As soon as we receive it, we’ll liaise with you and then start making your travel adventure happen.
It’s as easy as that.
This placement can be extended for any length of time (many of our volunteers do!), subject to availability and any visa restrictions that may apply.
Costs vary depending on how long you want to stay for. Prices include food and accommodation, 24/7 support and backup before you go and throughout your placement, as well as meeting you at the nearest airport. When you’re on your placement, if you’d like to extend your time, you can do so at a minimal cost per additional week.
This placement would suit:
This placement would suit people who want to make a real difference, want first-hand experience of real Sri Lankan culture and who have initiative. No qualifications or previous experience are necessary, just a good dose of enthusiasm!
Do you accept non UK citizens?
Do you accept applicants with disabilities?
”“I have loved my time in Sri Lanka - I wish I had planned my trip earlier so that I could have done a month’s placement! I am so pleased that I have done this and will miss the people I met and the children I worked with a lot AND/OR I normally played with toddler group outside in the first hour, then had tea break before going in to play with and look after the babies. Often changed nappies, helped feed babies on occasion, some volunteers helped with showers on the appropriate days…” “
~ by Emily Henderson
accommodation, food, airport pickup
YOUR ADVENTURE STARTS HERE! Help children, animals and conservation around the world. Gain valuable work experience and new skills. All ages & nationalities welcome. EXPLORE a new culture from the inside on worthwhile, well-structured projects.
FLEXIBLE: From two weeks to one year - you choose your dates and duration.