Build confidence, leadership skills, life skills, learn to start your own social entrepreneurship enterprise and design your future on this epic one month adventure. Run by the Wilderness Leadership School, one of South Africa’s oldest and most respected NGO’s and ETC-Africa, a leading ecotourism and environmental planning company in South Africa, the course involves a range of activities and a structured learning program specifically aimed at gap year students and young graduates who dream of connecting with nature and making the world a better place.
The carefully designed program includes everything from swimming with sharks in the Indian Ocean to spending a week sleeping under the stars and tracking rhino on foot in a wilderness area. From living in a rural Zulu village to volunteering projects and giving back. Everything is designed to answer one question; who are YOU and how can YOU change the world? Like they say, Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world usually do.
The course runs over one month and involves a range of activities from formal training, problem solving to wilderness experiences with expert facilitators and subject matter experts. The carefully designed program includes everything from swimming with sharks in the Indian Ocean to spending five days sleeping under the stars and tracking rhino on foot in a wilderness area. From living in a rural Zulu village to volunteering projects and giving back. Everything is designed to answer one question; who are YOU and how can YOU change the world?
The program is a carefully guided mix of theory coursework, practical application and a large portion of incredible experiences, which all ultimately lead to outcomes including:
- Building independence and confidence in yourself, your ideas and your future
- Finding yourself, your passion, your driving force and apply it positively in the modern business world
- Learning to face up and deal with fears and life’s challenges in an effective and positive way
- Growing new ideas, lean how to take them from idea to implementation
- Discovering new opportunities, a range of careers and ways to approach the business world that make a difference
- Understanding global challenges, see the world from new and different perspectives, learn what is important to you
- Set goals, design plans, make things happen. A range of diverse career opportunities, projects and initiatives you probably never thought of.
- Critical life skills essential for survival in the modern world
By the end of this course you will have a set of skills and experiences that will change your life, including:
- Being exposed to ideas, careers, concepts, challenges and opportunities that you probably never knew existed
- Gaining a newfound sense of purpose and vision for your place in the world
- Nurturing a project from a tiny idea into a viable social entrepreneurship business model or value proposition for a potential employer
- Developing a clear understanding of what you will need to do to get where you want to go, what skills you need to cultivate and what people you need to be engaging with.
- Become part of a global alumni of like-minded young people from all walks of life, sharing ideas and working towards making the world a better place
Who is this suited to?
Well, we say, any young person trying to find their place in the world, everyone has equal potential, they just need to find their passion and focus it in the right direction. The course is ideally suited towards people who want to work in the fields of environmental or social issues, specifically fields addressing the Global Goals For Sustainable Development. These include school leavers or gap year students who are still trying to decide what to study or direction to follow with their lives
- Graduates who are going to be entering the workplace and want to offer potential employees something unique, who want more than a “job”
- Dreamers who want to build their own business and leave a positive legacy
- Young people who are passionate about a cause and want to find ways of following that passion
- Young people trying to find their place in the world, who are looking for inspiration, ideas, and a chance to blossom into something great
- Young people who want to help create a better world but don’t know how.