As If You Didn’t Know Already
Why does everyone go on about backpacking all the time? What’s so great about hauling a backpack halfway around the world, getting to meet loads of people and trying things you never, ever, thought you were capable of?
If you haven’t been backpacking yet, you may be wondering why we bang on about it all the time. Well, here you go, 21 (out of possibly 100s) reasons why backpacking is awesome.
1. Everything you own is on your back – the freedom this brings is incredible.
2. When you’re travelling you’ll see something new every day.
3. You’re likely to meet someone new too – and you instantly have something in common.
4. Carrying your backpack around and having to walk everywhere will keep you fitter than you’ve ever been.
5. You get to do what you want, when you want. Treasure this.
6. Choose your country wisely and your cost of living per day can actually be much cheaper than it is now.
7. You can reinvent yourself and be whoever you want to be, daily.
8. Gap years mean you can wear ridiculous clothes and jewellery and do what you want with a piercing gun, a tattooist and some hair dye.
9. If your fellow travellers annoy you, get rid or move on. If you love them, hang out and travel together.
10. You get to party. A lot. Your mum might say too much.
12. You become part of an awesome backpacking community united in their love for travel.
13. Whether you want to spend time alone or in a crowd, it’s easy.
14. You’ll fall in love with more people, places and activities that you can imagine.
15. It will be the best time of your life.
16. All the best people backpack, and as you grow up you need more comfort. This leaves the hostels and backpacker trails free for the hardier among us.
17. Backpackers are more likely to support the local economy. They stay in the unique and authentic little local accommodations over the big fancy hotels belonging to foreigners.
18. As a backpacker you’re more likely to go out and explore rather than staying in the centre of the main cities – spreading the tourist wealth more evenly throughout a country.
19. You can live life for the moment and act on a whim.
20. You’ve got the time to really experience a destination and chill with the locals, volunteering or working, rather than just spinning in like a whirlwind and leaving.
21. It will open your mind – backpacking is a lifestyle not just one trip.
22. Thanks to the cheapo transport at weird hours that you’ll no doubt opt for, you’ll get to see incredible sunrises and sunsets.
23. You’ll gather stories to tell for the rest of your lifetime.
24. It’s your big opportunity to lose yourself and push your limits.
25. You might find an awesome place you’d be happy to spend the rest of your life.
26. You will never run out of new things to see and do when you’re backpacking.
27. All the cool people backpack.