New Zealand is one of the most popular countries to work in on a gap year and it has so much to offer people who are backpacking and travelling. In fact, those that travel to New Zealand can’t help but fall in love with the country.
It has it all; stunning scenery, superb sights, and more adventure activities than you’ll know what to do with! Also, you’ll soon discover that the people are rad as. All of that makes it one of the most welcoming countries to travel to in the world, which is why so many people travel and work there!
Travelling and working in New Zealand
Working in New Zealand is extremely easy. Obviously they speak English (which is a bonus) and there are a number of jobs available for backpackers and travellers.
One such job is as an au pair.
In short, an au pair is someone who lives with a host family in a foreign country. Usual activities predominately involve looking after children and a wee bit of cooking, but it’s also an educational programme. Living with a host family may seem strange at first they’ll soon become a second family to you! Also, in your spare time you’ll be able to explore the country and culture and create a lifetime worth of memories.
Without a doubt the best company to go with in New Zealand is Au Pair Link. With them you’ll get a guaranteed job, get free accommodation and board, and have the support of fully qualified professionals while teaching a world-leading curriculum. Not only that but you’ll be given assistance for the whole duration of your placement term! Bonza!
What do you need?
There are some minimum requirements to become an au pair in New Zealand. In short, you must:
- Be between 18-30 years old
- Have a clean police record
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Speak English to a good standard
- Meet New Zealand visa requirements
- Have 100-200 hours of childcare experience, such as babysitting or working in a kindergarten
What do you get?
Au Pair programmes are flexible and designed to suit your level of experience and preferences. As Au Pair Link is licensed by the New Zealand Ministry of Education, it’s able to provide you with a fun, interactive and educational programme to work through with the children. Even better, Au Pair Link support you by running monthly activities, weekly playgroups, childcare training, free educational resources and outings. This way you get in touch with other au pairs your age so you can share your experiences, stay well-connected and have the chance to form lifelong friendships!
What else? What else?
In addition you’ll also be provided with:
- 24 hour phone support during your placement
- Your flight booking, insurance and assistance with your working holiday visa
- Free room and board living with a New Zealand host family
- A weekly wage from NZ$120 – NZ$320 (depending on your programme and hours)
- A completion bonus of up to NZ$1,040 when you stay the whole placement term
- A three day orientation course in Auckland
- CPR and first aid training
- A completion certificate
- Up to four weeks paid holidays to explore the country
- Re-match support – up to five nights free accommodation if you need to be re-matched with another host family
- Access to regular au pair outings, exclusive travel discounts within New Zealand and an entire network of au pairs that you can connect with!
Au Pair Link also ensures that au pairs working in New Zealand enjoy the same benefits and rights under New Zealand employment law as any other employee in New Zealand.
As an au pair you’ll be entitled to four weeks paid annual leave per year, public holidays and sick leave. During your annual leave, or time off, you can travel across New Zealand and live the dream. Fancy bungee jumping? Yep, you can do that. What about white-water rafting? Sure thing. Have the time of your life? 100% guaranteed.
Travelling and working in New Zealand it’s all too easy to work in a bar in Queenstown or work in a café in Auckland. However, become an au pair is not only different but it’s a lot of fun! All you need to do is go out there and do it…
About Au Pair Link
Au Pair Link is New Zealand’s leading and largest Au Pair agency. They have placed thousands of au pairs in loving kiwi families since 2006 and they have a proven track record – also, they are members of the International Au Pair Association and founded the New Zealand Au Pair Association in 2008.
With dedicated staff supporting au pairs in Auckland, Wellington, Canterbury, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Rotorua, Taranaki, Nelson and Otago you’ll be spoilt for choice. The hardest thing will be decideding which family you’d love to join!
And with a UK office with a dedicated UK candidate manager you’ll be able to speak to someone to through the process no matter what the time zone!