Tori Oram: Update

Post Reply New Thread

Tori Oram: Update

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 227

Joined 2005-01-31

Hey everyone!

Big time apologies for being out of contact for so long. Time here is going so quickly, I never seem to have a spare moment to go online! Or if I do, every other crew member has chosen that time to go online and I can’t get a computer!

Hope everyones okay.

Things here are good but busy. We’re beginning to get alot more kids (over 1000 now instead of 800 odd). Its frantic but good frantic. Being with the kids makes the time race by. Plus, my day is divided up into sections. For example, first thing this morning I was ship anchor, meaning I stayed on the ship while the kids went to the island with the others. If they needed to send a page or wanted information, they radioed me and I checked the computer. When I go back this afternoon, I’m an 8 counsellor (just playing with the kids), I’m on CTJ (Celebrate the Journey, a stage show we do with the kids), deep clean (cleaning) and age anchor (responsible for sign ins while in a remote location). Still, it does mean Ihaven’t had the chance to be bored!

I earned my ears last week. That happens after one month on board, you “graduate” your training and are a fully fledged member of the crew. There’s a ceremony where we get our ears (a Mickey mouse ears hat) and certificates. There’s a feedback session followed by non alcoholic champagne. It was quite good. Ialso had a private feedback session with Jane, my leader. Turns out I’m good with the kids but no so good with the paperwork side of things. I’ll have to work on that part.

We had rough seas the other day. Sixteen foot waves. I was so ill! Kids were falling over, stuff fell off the shelves, everyone felt sick and we had protein spill after protein spill in the Lab (protein spill is Disney language for puking!) It was awful but as soon as I lay down, I felt better. They say that going to your cabin is the worst thing you can do for seasickness but I find if I lie down, it goes away.

When I’m not working, I’m normally eating or sleeping. However, sometimes I get the odd hour here and there. They show movies in the movie theatre and we can go to that if we’re off. I keep trying to get around to seeing Narnia (after all, it’s free!) but its 2.22 long and I like having time out. The new Disney film, Chicken Little is the major one. We take the kids to see it every cruise so I’ve watched it at least ten times! Trouble is, I didn’t like it the first time. Still, I’m being paid for that so its not so bad. I’m looking forward to when they switch it. We had Sky High for a long time but now thats gone they’re thinking of replacing it with Eight Below. Not sure if they will as thats a sad film (doggies die!). When the Shaggy Dog comes out this month, there’s a good chance that will be shown. Excellent!

Anyway, gotta go, I need food, I’m hungry.

Bye for now!

Tori

Tori

deleted-user

Sounds hectic but great!
Congratulations on getting your ears.
How long are you working on there for?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 227

Joined 2005-01-31

Hey Cheeky!

I’ll be out here for four and a half months. Then I get six weeks at home (though I’m trying to extend it to seven so I can see my brother graduate), then I’m back out here again. I finish here on the 28th May and I’m planning to fly my mum out the same day. We’re gonna spend five days at the theme parks, then we can go back together.

Hows things for you?

Tori

deleted-user

wow sounds so much fun, so you have no regrets about doing it then?

things with me are really good thanks, slowly stepping closer to being able to afford to get away somewhere - im just really struggling to prioritise things! cant decide if i want to see europe first, or a wicked sounding surfing placement in the dom rep, or south africa….the list is endless!

keep me updated on how ur getting on and ill let u know if i ever make a decision!!!
take care
ellie x x

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-04-04

Hey!
Are you working for a Mickey mouse cruise?
I’m sorry to bug you, but I’m really trying to find a job like that but I have no clue how to go about that! I was thinking of going to Disney world in Florida to apply and get a job there, but to work on a cruise sounds more in my interest of travel.
I’m new on this website so I’m sorry if you have already posted more on the subject!

Thanks!cheese