Anyone else planning on working in Australia for a year?

Post Reply New Thread

Anyone else planning on working in Australia for a year?

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2016-06-24

I am planning on going to Australia in the next few months for a year to do some travelling and work. It would be good to meet a small group. I see companies like bunac are offering group flights to get to know other people while travelling but that is nearly £1000 excluding the flight though you get 3 days in Hong Kong together. Is there any other solo traveler wanting to go to Australia who wants to form a group with people that have similar plans?

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2016-05-30

I’m flying to Brisbane on the 5th of July on a working holiday Visa. I’m up for going with anybody in the same boat. big surprise

Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2016-06-23

I’m planning on getting my whv and going solo but It won’t be until the beginning of next year now, I was going to go through bunac as well but decided against it just so I could have that money to spend on things our there especially when you’re basically paying them to meet people and from what I’ve read, meeting people in Oz is pretty dam n easy! Search for solo hostels and read the reviews a lot of them arrange activities so everyone can get to know each other. Although that said it’d be nice to meet/talk to a few people before I head out!

Rank

Joined 2016-06-24

newlife - 26 June 2016 09:44 PM

I’m flying to Brisbane on the 5th of July on a working holiday Visa. I’m up for going with anybody in the same boat. big surprise

Just over a week away. Good luck. smile

I would go but I have things to do this summer and I won’t be able to go to Australia until the end of August/ start of September. What are your plans? Are you just going to book into hostels and meet people there?

Rank

Joined 2016-06-24

Emmyemmaline - 27 June 2016 04:48 AM

I’m planning on getting my whv and going solo but It won’t be until the beginning of next year now, I was going to go through bunac as well but decided against it just so I could have that money to spend on things our there especially when you’re basically paying them to meet people and from what I’ve read, meeting people in Oz is pretty dam n easy! Search for solo hostels and read the reviews a lot of them arrange activities so everyone can get to know each other. Although that said it’d be nice to meet/talk to a few people before I head out!

Yeah true bunac seems like too much money now when I suppose you will meet many people out there though I think they have access to a job board that you could use. Are there a lot of these solo hostels that arrange activities around?

Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2016-06-23

donalmac93 - 27 June 2016 07:10 AM
Emmyemmaline - 27 June 2016 04:48 AM

Yeah true bunac seems like too much money now when I suppose you will meet many people out there though I think they have access to a job board that you could use. Are there a lot of these solo hostels that arrange activities around?

If you go on most of the hostels websites they usually list what facilities they have and a lot have job boards, and just ask the staff I’m sure they get asked all the time! there’s also a website called taw and they have a main office in Sydney I think? You have to pay for the website but I’m guessing once you’re there they’re not going to say no to you walking in. I just think paying 500 for something you could do for pretty much free is pretty steep, and you can use that extra money on a little better hostel or book a guided tour where I’m sure other solo travellers are (this is what I’m hoping on anyway, or I’ll have a lonely year!) Also once you get a job, like over here you’ll obviously get to know your workmates and their friends etc

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2016-05-30

donalmac93 - 27 June 2016 07:06 AM

I would go but I have things to do this summer and I won’t be able to go to Australia until the end of August/ start of September. What are your plans? Are you just going to book into hostels and meet people there?

Yeah just staying in Hostels and seeing what happens really. No real plan to start with. Want to find some sort of job

Rank

Joined 2016-06-24

newlife - 28 June 2016 10:04 PM
donalmac93 - 27 June 2016 07:06 AM

Yeah just staying in Hostels and seeing what happens really. No real plan to start with. Want to find some sort of job

Hows your first week in Australia going?

Rank

Joined 2016-07-13

Hi Guys,

I’m Al, from Malaysia. I’m planning to go to Melbourne, hopefully some time in August or Sept. Just waiting for my visa stuff to get sorted out.

I’m actually very familiar with Australia, especially Melbourne. Went to uni there, so I lived there for 5 years. Just got back to Malaysia last Feb. Excited to go back coz it seems like I dont feel like I’m done with Australia just yet haha.

I want to have a different kind of adventures this time. I have to admit during the 5 years I was there, I was wrapped up in a bubble, being mostly with my Malaysian friends most of the time. So, my aim this time around is to break from that circle and get to know people from all over the world.

As for my working plan, I’ve started looking at Gumtree website. This is a very popular Australian website, used for many purposes including finding a job. I haven’t got a clear picture though of what sort of job I want to do.

So yeah, sorry for that long post, but if you guys are coming down to Melbourne, I would love for us to meet up! And if you have any questions about settling down in Australia, I should be able to help out with a few tips - banks, phones, supermarkets, places of attraction etc

Rank

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2016-04-04

Hey,

I’m travelling solo to Cairns, on a working holiday visa. I will be there late October.

Looking for anyone who will be in the same area, would be good to know some people before I go out there! smile