Best place to spend christmas?

Post Reply New Thread

Best place to spend christmas?

Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2016-07-01

my thai visa will expire just before Christmas so I will most likely be in Cambodia by then and was wondering if there is much going on for Christmas and new year?

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2015-07-11

I’m also going to be in Asia (most likely in Cambodia ) around that time. I’m interested in knowing where’s good over Christmas too

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3009

Joined 2004-05-30

I think some friends spent Christmas in Sihanoukville and loved it. Alternatively I would say Siem Reap or Phnom Penh would be good (although the killing fields and s21 are hardly the ideal way to celebrate the festive time). I spent Christmas in Vang Vieng, Laos that was great. Basically, it’s never going to be the same as home, so find a popular traveller spot and you’re bound to meet some other travellers and the hostels and restaurants will lay on some special food and/or a party.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1123

Joined 2007-01-04

I spent last Christmas in Siem Reap - to be honest it was ‘OK’ but kinda quiet.. Loads of Expat run places had Christmas dinners, but we didn’t meet many people. In retrospect we would have gone somewhere with more backpackers, but hey ho, it’s just your luck anytime who you meet.

I would avoid Battambang wink

On the other hand we spent New Year in Luang Prabang. It was EVEN quieter - but we had an amazing night. We hadn’t been there long and noticed other young couples like ourselves wandering up and down the main street looking for somewhere that was lively(nowhere).. We just sort of teamed up with another couple and it snowballed. Ended with about 30 of us descending on a quiet bar to bring in the New Year.