Trans Mongolian - Summer or Winter?

Post Reply New Thread

Trans Mongolian - Summer or Winter?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 159

Joined 2011-07-20

We’re organising our trip for next year around the Trans Mongolian railway.

We’re trying to work out if it’ll be better in the summer (Swimming in lake Baikal) or in the winter (travelling through the snow)?

Has anyone got any recommendations?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 440

Joined 2006-07-14

I did the Trans-Mongolian in the winter and loved it!

I went in early March and Russia was pretty cold, especially when I was in St. Petersburg. However seeing Lake Baikal all frozen and walking on the ice was a pretty cool experience. There wasn’t tons of snow any where, except in the mountains when we went for a walk up to the observatory at Lake Baikal.

Also staying in the Ger camp and having the fire on in the Ger kept us nice and warm.

You won’t get cold on the train, the Russians like it hot! In fact we struggled for the first 2 days trying to open the small window in our cabin, but once we did it was much more enjoyable.

I went with vodka train, which i highly recommend, they have honcos that meet you at the train station and show you around the city suggesting things to go and see if you don’t want to join them doing what is planned. They also make sure you get on the correct train and carriage each time you depart the station, which leaves a lot of stress out!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 159

Joined 2011-07-20

Thanks,

We’re looking at heading off on February for a bit of a pre-wedding honeymoon, we’d love to do it in the summer but it really doesn’t fit in well with our lives.

We’re still trying to choose between skipping the Trans Mongolian this year and doing it as a separate trip in the summer or fitting it in either way and having to take along both summer and winter clothing.