Career break with Engineering background

Post Reply New Thread

Career break with Engineering background

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-10-12

Hi, i’m considering a career break within the next year. I graduated with an engineering degree in 2012 and have been working for four years. Anybody on here have an engineering background that has taken a career break to travel? I have been thinking of trying to get a job as an engineer in one of the countries I visit, but working a 9-5 job in another country is still working a 9-5 job. Would like to hear your experience trying to get back into the workforce after as well as getting your professional designation.

Thanks!

Rank

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2014-10-25

Not exactly the same but I’m a senior QS. Finding a job abroad depends on where you want to go, what your work experiences are, languages and where you want to go, none of which you were particularly specific on. In any case, it can be done, and regardless of what you do it’s good for a CV.

Make no mistake though: working 9-5 in another country is vastly different from what you’ll find at home. I worked with Americans in Canada that said they had more of a culture shock doing that than they did working in the middle East (a lot of reasons why, including that they were prepared for one when they went East instead of north, but I won’t get into that here).

It is easier to find a job in another country once you arrive compared to while you’re still at home.