Insurance - huge range in prices

Post Reply New Thread

Insurance - huge range in prices

Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2016-03-17

Hi,

Before I book my travel insurance (flights being confirmed later this week…wink, I wanted to get a few opinions on how much to be spending. Thanks in advance for any help!

I’ve looked at a few threads on this board, but what still throws me is the huge range in prices:
- STA and World Nomads are around £350 for a 6 month trip
- but for the same duration and destinations, there are quotes on MoneySupermarket for as little as £20.

I will go through them line by line to check for differences, although at first glance there aren’t too many.

That level of price difference makes me think the two policies would be fundamentally different products. I don’t want to economise too much on something as important as this, so mainly I’m after some reassurance that the STA/WN quotes are realistic for what backpackers should be paying.

Many thanks again smile

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2016-12-21

I’m currently using World Nomads so can highly recommend them! Prices are average but what’s more important is that they cover certain sporting activities that other insurance companies don’t cover.

Rank

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2016-03-17

Many thanks! I had a look around, and no provider seems to escape criticism (as you’d expect), but World Nomads do seem well rated and fairly priced. I went with them too.

Thanks again!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 342

Joined 2007-11-20

Travel insurance is always a pain, paying for something you hope never to use. I always use Holiday Safe. They cover for pretty much every activity, are reasonable on price and amazingly have quite decent reviews. Never had any issues so I’ve never had to claim on insurance. World Nomads is a safe choice too

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2016-12-23

I recently returned from a 5 month backpacking trip around Central / South America. I went with Big Cat Travel Insurance, I’d never heard of them but now I recommend them to anyone that asks! Customer service was really helpful, their reviews seem mostly positive and competitive price.

I decided to go trekking up to Machu Picchu halfway through my trip and it was no hassle to extend my standard 2,500m ( I think) trekking cover up to 4,500m as well as a few other activities. I’ll definitely go with them again.