Travelling solo - Australia 2017

Post Reply New Thread

Travelling solo - Australia 2017

Rank

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2017-01-02

Hi all, i’m 23 from Manchester in the UK. Been researching and planning to do a WHV in Australia around September time (Spring in Oz) as this will beat the rush of travellers arriving in the summer time, and work will be slightly easier to find.

Im very keen on the idea of a 2nd year so i want to get 3 months regional farming work done early so i can travel around and enjoy myself once this is complete.

Ive dangled the idea to a couple of friends but i don’t think they will end up coming, so i’m totally open to travelling on my own as i will meet people when i get there! I’m also open to travelling with someone too! Who is like me, excited and scared in equal measure about the prospect of travelling solo!

I welcome any thoughts!

Jordan

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 214

Joined 2016-12-27

Hi,

I’ve been looking to go to other places and thinking about working while there as well.

Did you have any other plans of going to other countries as well?

I don’t know when I will be able to start - I will need to get a passport and see when I finish college first.

Charlotte

Rank

Joined 2017-01-02

Hi Charlotte,

I haven’t really thought about other countries but i am definitely stopping off somewhere on the way to australia as i cant hack one long haul flight!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2016-12-27

Hi,
I was thinking I might get a camper van and go to as many places as I can for as long as I can and about getting jobs on the way to cover the coats of everything

Charlotte

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2017-01-04

Hey guys smile
My name is Danielle (Dani), 22 from Dublin!!
So I’ve only begun to start thinking about Oz for sometime around Sept 2017. Would be applying for the one year working visa but am open for staying on longer depending on how it all goes!
Like yourselves, I’ve said it to a couple of my friends but were all in diff places like masters/jobs etc. It would be so nice to actually know people who were heading over also for the big Oz adventure :D
Add me on facebook, do all that jazz let’s just hop straight into it haha!!
Dani x

Rank

Joined 2017-01-02

Hi Dani

Im in the same boat as you! Started thinking/planning/researching now as it gives me time to get everything sorted before September!

I definitely want to stay for a second year so id want to get my farming work done soon as possible!

Thinking of flying into Melbourne, stay in a hostel for a week or two whilst i look for a job and meet people!

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2017-01-04

Yeah exactly like get planning so we can save throughout the year and it’ll also give me an inventive to keep going in my full time job at the mo haha!!
Feel free to add me on facebook if you like, we can chat more about our plans etc smile
Dani

Rank

Joined 2017-01-02

Cant seem to find you!

Can you link me?

Cheers

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2016-12-27

Hi,

Do you know roughly how much it might cost for everything, as I have some money but haven’t got a job, I will have to finish college and get everything else to go with traveling.

Rank

Joined 2017-01-02

The Australian government recomend that you have $5000AUS in your bank account to ensure that you can support yourself sufficiently, which is around £3000

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2016-12-27

I will probably have enough left depending on how much I have to buy for it and passport and everything

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2017-01-12

Hey! I’m from Preston planning to go to Queensland at the same time September/October time to find some regional work as well for a 2nd year visa. Just doing a bit of research at the moment not sure where abouts the best places to go in Queensland

Rank

Joined 2017-01-02

Hey Rachel! Im the same as you, wanting to get the farming work out the way early so i can travel and enjoy myself for the rest of my first year! You planning to go on your own aswell?

Rank

Joined 2017-01-12

Yeah Im pretty sure I’ll be doing it on my own which is scary. I’ve got family in Sydney though so if all else fails I have a back up plan

Rank

Joined 2017-01-02

Haha definitely! I think I’m excited and shitting myself at the same time, thats good then! Atleast you know you have a place to stay worse case scenario.

What sort of regional work are you thinking of doing?

Rank

Joined 2017-01-12

Yeah I’m literally terrified! Would rather not go on my own but it’s looking that way at the moment I think it will be fine once I get there and get a job sorted. I’m just thinking some fruit picking or something like that but definitely in Queensland somewhere because after the 3 months I want to go to the Great Barrier Reef and Fraser Island. I’m so excited! What’s your plans so far?