Australia 2017

Post Reply New Thread

Australia 2017

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2017-01-03

Hey everyone

I am 23 from Leeds, graduated from uni last year and now I’m wanting an adventure!

I really want to work and travel the East Coast of Australia but open to other suggestions and places.

It’s my first time traveling alone and I am just wondering how everyone is planning their trips as I have no idea where to begin? How are you going about getting visa’s and sorting accommodation and work? It’s such a big thing to do alone so would love to hear experiences and plans.

Let me know if anyone is interested in going this year smile

RankRank

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2009-01-16

Hey Jodie,

I’m originally from Wakefield and came over solo to Australia 7 years ago, as my mate says i’m now a Pozzie!

I initially came on a one way flight to Sydney for Christmas and New years and went through a company called ozintro:
http://www.ozintro.com

They organise your first week in Sydney including accommodation and trips. They also sort out visa, bank account, phone sim card, tax file number, if i remember rightly medicare card and heaps of other stuff.

If you were unsure what to do and uneasy about travelling solo you could do that, from memory it wasn’t too excessive in costs. They also act as a sort of travel agent and you can book trips through them at the end of the week, my advice is unless you plan on traveling and doing all the trips at straight away don’t bother you can find good bargains up the coast as you go.

Also depending on when you plan on starting your trip, would influence where i would recommend starting along with if you want to travel straight away or find work.

If you started between now and the end of March I would recommend either Melbourne or Sydney as it’s the summer and these are warm, up North (Brisbane upwards) is the wet season and humid as hell. If your wanting to find work it can be difficult in the summer months trying to get work in Melbourne and Sydney.

If you go onto hostel world.com you’ll be able to find hostels to stay in, if your not wanting to stay in mixed dorms i would go with Base Hostels as they have a female only section in each hostel, Base are my recommended in Australia through personal experience particularly in Melbourne. I am bias as i lived in Base hostels for around 9 months of my first year. From my experience these would be hostel suggestions:

Melbourne - Base (St Kilda - awesome in summer, try and be there for St Kilda festival in late Feb)

Sydney - Base on Kent (City) / YHA or Wakeup (Central Station - don’t be fooled this is not “Central” to Sydney if you wanted somewhere more central stick with Base) / If you wanted somewhere near to a beach and about 20km of the city YHA in Collaroy (Northern Beaches) don’t stay here if you want to be near the city and or Bondi) There are a number of hostels out in Coggee and Bondi but i can’t remember those.

Brisbane (My favourite place in Australia I spent 5 years living there) Base opposite Roma St.

Cairns Gilligans i recommend staying in no larger than 6 bed dorm unless you want to be directly over the night club and not sleep.

Happy to answer any other questions provide advice you might have.

Andy

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2015-01-27

Hey lovely!

Im jess and Im also panning to live and work in aus for a year around August time as it will be starting summer there smile

I will also be going alone I think! Its exciting but daunting isnt it!

Im thinking a a few weeks backpacking around Sydney then move onto Melbourne!

Whats your plan?

Rank

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2017-01-04

Hey guys smile
Danielle here! 22 from Dublin smile
I’ve only begun to start thinking about Oz for Sept 2017 recently but the idea is becoming more and more exciting to me!
I’ve said it to a couple of my pals but were all in diff positions with masters/jobs etc.
It would be so lovely to know a few people to kick off this big Oz adventure with so it won’t be a total flop haha!
Feel free to add me on facebook or whatever, I’m really up for getting to know people before I fully commit smile
Dani x

RankRank

Total Posts: 68

Joined 2009-01-16

jessica-anne - 04 January 2017 11:37 AM

Hey lovely!

Im jess and Im also panning to live and work in aus for a year around August time as it will be starting summer there smile

I will also be going alone I think! Its exciting but daunting isnt it!

Im thinking a a few weeks backpacking around Sydney then move onto Melbourne!

Whats your plan?

Hi jess,

Just to clarify that over here in Australia Summer runs for December through March in the Southern states (NSW-Sydney, VIC-Melbourne, SA-Adelaide, ACT-Canberra, TAS-Hobart) with winter running June through September. Up North (QLD-Brisbane, NT-Darwin and WA-Perth) they have generally speaking two seasons (Wet Season which is hot and humid and is the equivalent of the Southern States Summer) and ( Dry Season which is warm and dry and is equivalent to the Southern States Winter)

If you were wanting to come over to Australia in the summer to start working it would be December of January if you were wanting to work in Sydney or Melbourne.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2016-03-11

Hey Everyone,

A few of you have said you are planning on going to Australia and just today i applied for my working holiday visa for Oz, hoping to go August/September time, probably to Gold Coast! Like many of you i am planning on going alone so it would be nice to know people before i go to make leaving home for that amount of time easier! Let me know if anyone is planning on heading to gold coast! Would love to chat to you smile Amy xx