In Over My Head, Trip Planning, Advice/Help Needed

Post Reply New Thread

In Over My Head, Trip Planning, Advice/Help Needed

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2017-03-12

Hi guys,
Not sure if this is the right way to do things. Im new to the whole forum message boards and havnt really used any but I’m in way over my head on this one and could use some proper advice and help.

Well to start off with, my name is Mike and I’m 28 years old from the UK. Im currently living in beautiful North Wales just outside Snowdonia National Park. Im not really a big traveller and until recently I was the type of person that kept saying “yeah, ill get my passport next month” and that carried on for years until finally I got offered to go away on an all inclusive 2 week holiday to Kizilot, Turkey with a couple of friends and their kids. After a boring 2 weeks sat round the pool I decided that my next trip would be something that I wanted to and sitting by a pool for 2 weeks wasn’t my idea of fun.

Well to cut a long story short, I got back home and started working on a trip just for me. I got myself fixed on doing a tour from Quito, Ecuador - La Paz, Bolivia. This would include an Amazon home stay, Hike the Inca trail to Machu Picchu and then over to La Paz to mountain bike the death road. I worked out a rough cost and I was coming in at around £6500 for the 35 day trip. Then while searching more I seen posts and blogs from different travellers saying that they travelled the world for £5000-10000. I decided that if I could Frow everything I to 1 trip then maybe it would work out better for me in the long run. I then researched a little into some destinations and activities I’d like to do.
Here is my lists that I finally stuck with..

Peru - Inca trail or Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu. Climb a mountain overlooking Machu Picchu. Somewhere in the region I want to do a rainforest trip. I either want to stay with a local family in the rainforest or do a trek with camping.

Bolivia - Mountain bike along Yungas Road, La Paz (Death Road)

Tanzania - Climb Mt Kilimanjaro and maybe do a mini safari if it dosnt cost too much

Thailand - 1-2 weeks unplanned backpacking island hopping renting boats and mopeds.

Japan - I want to stay in some kind of Buddhist temple. Something nice in the Himalayans would be awsome but I couldn’t find anything when I did a quick search and I found something that looked good in Japan. There is a Mt Koya near Osaka which is a sacred mountain covered in loads of Buddhist temples where you can spend the night. While I was there I would do a little exploring around Japan. It’s not that big of an island, how hard can it be to get around. Also I would like to do the Mt Fuji climb

Nepal - I’ve always been fascinated with being able to stand on top of Mt Everest looking down on the world. A summit climb of Everest will cost you in the region of £60k+ and that’s something that’s out of my league so I thought maybe doing the base camp trek would be enough or maybe a little higher if that’s possible .

Well that’s my list of destinations and my main reasons for wanting to go. I would be adding other activities whilst I was in certain places but they will just be unplanned on my free days.

Now its down to the planning and trying to work out a cost to see if im trying to do much or if I need to take some destinations off. I don’t really have a budget so my thinking was to just try and get a rough price and go from there. I don’t have a destination date in mind and this would depend on the costs as I would be saving the money after I knew roughly how much I need.

If anyone has any ideas about how to get a price and could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.  Im stuck now with trying to figure out which route to take. I want to do things as cheap as possible. My plan is to take a big backpack with a daypack. I would be joining a tour group for the Peru treks, Mt Kilimanjaro, Mt Fuji, Everest base camp treks and I would just be backpacking my way around whilst I was in Bolivia, Thailand, Japan. Would this be the best and cheapest way to do what I want to do. My heads been spinning for weeks just trying to plan. Feels like a full time job and I have no idea what I’m doing.
Look forward to hearing back from anyone that can help out