Cheapest place to fly into and out of in South America ?

Post Reply New Thread

Cheapest place to fly into and out of in South America ?

deleted-user

I’m planning a 4-6 month jaunt to south america from july onwards this year. Does anyone know the cheapest place to fly into and out of (with a London airport as the origin) ? - At the moment, then cheapest i can find is about 850 GBP return, which seems expensive considering you can fly return to North America (say New York) for around 200 GBP….

Any help or suggestion/donations appreciated :D

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1761

Joined 2005-11-30

Im looking at this myself at the moment so any info would be great. Im hopefully travelling the whole area so can fly in anywhere if there are some places a good bit cheaper.

From what Iv know so far South America flights are generally expensive- individually and they bump up RTWs a fair bit. I guess its not so common so don’t get cheaper deals like to the USA or Thailand or even Nz/Oz.

Im going in jan 08 so not searched much yet but have found flights for £610 return to Brazil (Rio), £670 return Buenos Aires going out in July back before xmas when looking to get an idea of costs.

Total Posts: 1550

Joined 2006-07-14

try searching from Madrid or Lisbon and just use budget airline to get to Iberia

my mate did this and saved over 200 quid on a return to Lima

Also have a look at the special flight deals on Sta travel website as I spotteda return to Rio from 499

Total Posts: 1761

Joined 2005-11-30

Great idea, will check it out! Iv also thought about maybe flying into Central America as can often get cheaper deals there and then overlanding +boat/finding a cheap flight to the north of south america but not sure itll be worth it and might just spend all my time in Central America instead.

Have had a look at the special flight deals -they are mainly short stay but worth keeping an eye on as sometimes 6 month tickets pop up.

Total Posts: 6019

Joined 2006-12-07

You can get dead cheap flights from London to Cancun, BA are also doing deals to Mexico City as well if I remember correctly.

deleted-user

you would have to boat from central to south america. unless you’re exceptionally hardcore. there’s a strip of jungle dividing the two known as the darien gap- peopled with 2 guerilla groups and cocaine traffickers.

do the boat or fly!!!

deleted-user

I am flying into Santiago but need to get to La Paz.

The flights are expensive $300+, would it be cheaper to book them locally when I get there?

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 541

Joined 2006-07-14

Does anyone know what sort of price I’m looking at If I fly to Venezuala from London late December 2007 and fly out of Brazil to London March 2008?

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 969

Joined 2006-07-14

I just had to fly home from Lima in pretty sad circumstances, but secured myself a return flight between Lima and London for £619. Name of the website was http://www.justtheflight.com and I flew home and will fly back out with Delta Airlines.

Cheapest hubs for arrival in S America are Caracas and Bogota I believe.

deleted-user

me and my friend are leaving on the 22nd of this month from heathrow to buenos aires and we managed to gat flights through sta travel for about 550 sterling, just keep looking and you can find some good deals!

deleted-user

Asa, your photograph reminds me that WERE LEAVING ON TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deleted-user

I have used several times cheap flights from MADRID to Caracas (Venezuela) with SANTA BARBARA AIRLINES (180 Euros One Way). You can book with any Spanish Internet travel agent (for example from TERRA). The price depends on the season, and when you want to fly. From UK there are cheap flights with Ryanair etc. to Spain.
From Caracas you can go by bus (2 days) to Manaus, this will cost around 80 Euros one way. Then you are in the AMAZONAS. From Manaus, the cheapest option to fly to the south (Rio, Sao Paulo, Brasilia, Porto Alegre) is to by from a local travel agent the VARIG MILES from another person. A One Way flight is then available for approx. 250 Reais. Or you find a Brazilian selling you 20.000 VARIG Miles for let us say 500 Reais, then you can fly from CARACAS to Brasil to any Varig destination. You can try to purchase these miles on ebay, which is called mercadolivre in Brasil.
From CARACAS you can also head on to Colombia, Equador and Peru by bus. The road travel to Bogota would cost around 50 Euros via Cucuta.

Rank

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2007-09-05

thanks for the STA site…i just found a flight to Rio for £477!