The official GAPYEAR.com CAMPING MEET thread - Summer 2007

Post Reply New Thread

The official GAPYEAR.com CAMPING MEET thread - Summer 2007

deleted-user

As promised during the weekend of the Leeds meet I am now getting things under way for the camping weekend.

This is to be held on Saturday 28th July 2007.

It was agreed amongst a few of us that it would be a good idea to hold this in a central location not too far away from a major town/city since many people will have to travel either by train or coach. A popular suggestion was to hit the countryside on the border of Derbyshire and the Peak District.

I’ve agreed with Merry to pick a campsite that isn’t too family orientated (or at least where we can camp a good distance away from them) so that we don’t have to worry about being uber-quiet and although I’m going to check a few out, I already have one in mind that I’ve been to once before a couple of years ago.

I’m thinking that if anybody that isn’t driving can make it to the train/bus station in Derby (or failing that, Nottingham) then a couple of us (including myself) can act as a taxi for the day and transport everyone between station and campsite. Harriet_b_20 has already very kindly offered to help out with this and with any organising also…thank you Harri…and I’m sure that if we all work together it will be an awesome weekend.

smile

Obviously the weather is a gamble but I’m sure we’ll make the best of it whatever the weather turns out like.

As a local-ish person I will be happy to fetch the food and drink supplies beforehand and get our area of the camp-site set up as best as possible ready for your arrival. I’ll do my best to organise us a great camping weekend!

:D

Let me know what you think…and let’s get this organised!

Elliot :D

********** UPDATE **********

Current date for the camping: Saturday 28th July

SORRY TO ANYONE ELSE THAT WISHES TO BE ADDED BUT THE GROUP IS NOW CAPPED AND NO-ONE ELSE WILL BE ADDED.

IF YOU WANNA GO, PM ME AND I’LL PUT YOU ON A LIST AND WILL INFORM YOU IF ANYONE DROPS OUT.

SORRY, BUT IT HAS TO BE DONE!

YES:

Me
Harriet_b_20
Blondenhappy
Sarah Q
Sausages
Merry
Gemma.Streeton
Jaydev
Parkhall
Sammyseal
Lunny
Cathays
Niksie
Murray
Duggs
L Schofield
Tofer
Lily
Wristy
Kathrynroe (and friend) *
Freakgirl
Jordancn
Warrick
Jonesy
Chase

MAYBE/TBC:

Cheekygrins
Mentulgoon

ON ‘STANDBY’:  :wink:

Stokey

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4626

Joined 2002-12-31

just one suggestion…. I wouldnt use this as the final organising thread if I were you. get suggestions together… agree on a final date and venue on here… THEN create the official organising thread and get a list of names and stuff. avoids confusion for newbies :wink:

I’m prob gonna be up for this…. I’m not going away till sept :D

The idea to do it around derbyshire is class…

so who’s gonna be around in july and august? I know a few of you are heading off on your travels around then….

deleted-user

Thanks for the pointers and I really hope you can make it along Lunny.

I’m totally open to suggestions for dates as it would be great to arrange it so that everyone going away travelling can come along before they head off.

So maybe July would be best?

Total Posts: 6019

Joined 2006-12-07

Are we talking somewhere out towards Buxton etc? Somewhere Derbyshire / Staffs would probably best given the central location.

.. later on in July as well I would suggest.

deleted-user

I’m open to suggestion and am happy to go along with what the majority would like, but at this point in time I was thinking of a site near Wirksworth and Whatstandwell which is just near the border of the Peak District. It’s a campsite away from all the main roads and is set in amongst the trees off a small B road that’s set within the valley.

I thought it best not to go too far into the Peaks (i.e. definitely not as far north as Buxton) because of the difficulties it poses to transport and taxi-ing everyone back and forth from the station(s).

Plus, the bikers hit Matlock over the weekend and getting through there is an absolute nightmare. This campsite is south of Matlock on the Derby side and so we wouldn’t get affected by the traffic at all.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 385

Joined 2006-03-30

YAY! glad this is getting settled (kinda) im deffo upskies for the camping meetskes :D

im off to go get drunk now!!! wish me luck! :razz:

deleted-user

im off to go get drunk now!!! wish me luck! :razz:

Luck with what? Getting drunk? You don’t need it, lol LOL ...you’re a pro!  :wink:

And great stuff re the camping…see you there!  smile

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 385

Joined 2006-03-30

hehe true true!

damm straight matey deffo gonna be there :wink:

Total Posts: 11379

Joined 2006-06-29

I will try and make a camp meet (ooo err) but i think my weekends in july/august will be pretty full. once you get an idea of a date ill try and see if im busy and shift stuff around (how popular do i sound! :D )

Total Posts: 4587

Joined 2005-06-29

Definitely up for this especially after missing Leeds!

I am away 19-22 July but otherwise free the other weekends - would prefer the last weekend in July though!

Am also able to offer to join the taxi service!

Go for it Elliot, looks a good suggestion of campsite too - looks a few nearby stations that hopefully people can stop at, maybe changing in Derby.

deleted-user

Definitely up for this especially after missing Leeds!

Nice one…I will put up a few potential dates soon so that we can all make a decision but the last weekend in July is fine by me.

And apologies if I didn’t make any sense on the phone on Sunday morning but I think I was still pissed, lol.

LOL

Total Posts: 4587

Joined 2005-06-29

And apologies if I didn’t make any sense on the phone on Sunday morning but I think I was still pissed, lol.

Well Clare never seems to be affected by alcohol or so it appears, but the rest of you….. I’m not so sure!

Total Posts: 5762

Joined 2006-07-14

hey im so up for this but i cant make the weekend of 13th of July or 25th of August other than that i have no life so count me in!

Joined 2006-06-29

i cant do any date in august as ill be busy every weekend but at the moment july is looking A-ok, i havent arranged to see my bf on any particular date in july yet so im pretty flexible :D

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 126

Joined 2007-01-13

Hi boys and girls.I’d like to come to this camping meet-up. Who wants to share my tent? :wink:

Joined 2006-06-29

FAB is back!!!

the 7th of July is out for me as ill be in Leeds getting my indian visa!