Thailand Fun Facts (Part 1)

Post Reply New Thread

Thailand Fun Facts (Part 1)

Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2007-06-12

THAILAND FUN FACTS
- There’s a lot of stray dogs/cats in this city and people do feed them as if they’re their own pet
- Prostitution is “illegal” in this country. But we’re probably the best known destination for sex tourists.
- We eat icecream that served in bread (like sandwich)
- Every 1st and 16th of every month are the days Thais waiting for. It’s lucky draw day for lottery tongue laugh
- Not all of Thai people eat spicy food
- We are not happy with current government. But what can we do?
- We even dislike the previous one more than this onetongue laugh
- New Bangkok International Airport is probably the airport that took longest time in the world to complete.
- Thai guys sometimes they’re more beautiful than Thai girls tongue laugh
- We call old, pervert sex tourists “It” like what you refer to animals. No kidding.
- Thai people eat all the time. Yes!
- Thai guys are crazy about football and National Team is Manchester United.
- Some taxi drivers can be pain in the arse.
- Not everyone here is good at smiling
- We go get angry sometimes. (for sure)
- Some Thai spoiled brats like to go to shopping in Hong Kong and Singapore even things are more expensive there
- Some of us still stupid enough to pay 100 Baht for a cup of Starbucks coffee. While some people got paid as minimum wage at 160 Baht/day
- We don’t need your “a few days volunteer"to help our elephants and children. If you will do that just for short period as it’s “exotic” to you and after that you’ll go shopping for some stuff at Siam Paragon later.
- We put at least 5 herbs in our soup but we don’t eat them. We eat only meat in there and the soup!
- Thai people like Karaoke grin
- Not every Thai eats insects. Lately it became more like tourist attraction.(“ewww! yikkkkeeee! how could u eat that..ewww! now bring it closer to my camera” then snap some photos)
- Pad Thai on Khaosan road is not Pad Thai. It’s greasy low quality noodles fried with oil.
- Thai people learn English since we are 6 years old. But never be able to use it in real life. Coz we are too “Shy” and afraid that we’re going to make mistakes. Sad but true

Im Thai :wink:

deleted-user

Hardly insightful.  Also, don’t generalise about people’s political views.  There are plenty of people who support Thaksin and want him to return to power.

deleted-user

How odd!  Enlighten me please…. why exactly do you not want people volunteering for a few days?  Surely the fact that people are offering their time and are willing to help out can only be beneficial to the Thais.  Foreigners who go to Thailand will inevitably shop and therefore it is naive to think that just beacuse a person is kind enough to spend ‘a few days’ of their holiday helping out, they shouldn’t go out and spend their money (which they have probably worked pretty hard for).

Rank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2007-06-12

Hi

Not all of them those go to help elephants and kids here are “kind” as you said.
I’ve met so many of them they just do it to make themselves feel that “I’m nice”

For those who are really devoting on helping. Cheers to them. Respect. Too bad
not all of them are as “kind” as you said. So I think it’s very “naive” to think
that all of people who go to ‘help’ are kind, not just it’s just a a part of
tour program for them.

Don’t think you’re “Enlightened” by now. Coz it’s no need to. After all, if it
doesn’t make sense to you. It’s a freedom of speech and personal thought.

Until then.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4626

Joined 2002-12-31

Ht2th I agree… there are lots of idiots who volunteer to do things in Thailand just to make themselves feel better and like they are doing loads of good… I have met some of them. They tend to talk about themselves a lot and don’t let you get a word in edgeways. Generally they are quite boring people….

I have a lot of respect for people who have a natural calling in life to do volunteer work, and genuinely do it out of the goodness of their hearts (jai dee :D ). But those who are on gap years and think if they spend two days patronising the locals they are making a difference, they can get lost. I for one know I am going travelling to see the world and have fun, and freely admit I am not the kind of person to do charity or volunteer work… why pretend to myself or others?

Oh and Ht2th… you are right about the pad thai on khao san… that’s why I will never stay there :wink:

Total Posts: 2299

Joined 2003-10-31

Pom Ruk Thailand :D

Total Posts: 3090

Joined 2007-01-03

What’s wrong with volunteering?? I’m doing a short placement, not to “make myself feel nice” but because I want to travel and see the world, and because I wanted to-if possible- do something that wasn’t totally narcisstic and selfish whilst I was away. You said that you all learn english from the age of six - yes, alot of the time you learn from volunteers like me, who will be placed in a school to teach my language to young children, and to hopefully let them teach me some of theirs!!!!!

Ru X

Total Posts: 1633

Joined 2006-07-14

But alot of people do volunteering so they can stroke their own ego and make themselves feel like they are saving the planet.

I respect people who volunteer, but i find some people go into it with a massive ego believing they can save the world… when in reality they just come across as condesending pricks.

I’m not accusing anyone hear of doing this, I just think people shouldn’t just go ahead and do volunteer work for the sake of it unless they feel they actually can help.

RankRank

Total Posts: 83

Joined 2006-12-19

Totally agree with everything Idle65 said, there are a million ego massagers out there and like Lunny said i have firm respect to people who dedicate themselves to helping others be it in a third world country or otherwise, i certainly couldnt do it, i lived in bangkok and taught in schools but i did it to pay rent and to sustain my life out there, and ditto about khao san but im sure ive made my views on that road clear already :D

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2006-11-09

It’s not only ego massagers, I guess many (particularly young and naive) do think they are doing alot of good and, as you said think they are “saving the world”. You have to remember, there is quite an industry behind Gap Year volunteering.

I think Ht2th was suggesting that a young (unqualified, ill-experienced?) volunteers coming for just a short period if are not going to learn enough to be of sufficient help.

Ru, I think language classes is one area where we have more to offer - I know I have more experience speaking english than looking after elephants LOL

Total Posts: 3090

Joined 2007-01-03

Yeah, I agree with that, waltzing in saying “I want to save your country” is just plain damn rude… but that’s why I chose to do what I’m doing, I didn’t want to be one of those people!

Hmm….

Ru X

Joined 2003-10-31

You don’t even need to volunteer to help out. Just dont be a twat, respect the customs and learn a little Thai.

Joined 2003-10-31

...and respect the people. Even the women. And don’t get into any arguments with Thai people, they will whoop your ass. So many times I saw a massive 6ft, 20 stone English monster getting floored by a Thai man half his size.

Total Posts: 1633

Joined 2006-07-14

...and respect the people. Even the women. And don’t get into any arguments with Thai people, they will whoop your ass. So many times I saw a massive 6ft, 20 stone English monster getting floored by a Thai man half his size.

Thanks for the warning 8O

Total Posts: 11379

Joined 2006-06-29

not quite sure what to make of this :?

RankRank

Total Posts: 83

Joined 2006-12-19

i think hes referring to the sex tourists that frequent thailand and treat women ike shit