Jucy Rental V Spaceship Rental

Post Reply New Thread

Jucy Rental V Spaceship Rental

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2007-07-23

We’re arriving in New Zealand in a couple of months and plan to hire a campervan for around 6 weeks.

Looking at prices it’s between Jucy Rentals and Spaceship Rentals. Has anyone used these? If so please let us knowyour reviews on them as we can’t decide between the two!

Thanks guys!

RankRankRank

Joined 2007-07-23

Also, if anyone knows anything about the fuel efficiency that would be fab!

Thanks guys!

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3009

Joined 2004-05-30

My friends got free use of a Spaceship to drive it back from Wellington to Auckland. Lots of rental companies do this to get there vehicles back to where they’re needed but you don’t get long. I can’t remember how long they had, maybe 2-3 days but the company were kind enough to let them keep the vehicle of an extra evening so we (I met them in Auckland) could get to the Rugby match in it. I guess you’re going to want to rent it for a proper toure but having experienced the company I’d say they’re pretty fair. If I recall though the vehicle was an Espace or something and wasn’t that easy to set up to sleep in. If Jucy rentals are actual campervans, they might be easier (if Spaceships aren’t proper campers as I remember).

Total Posts: 1136

Joined 2009-03-17

hiya,i might be able to help (a little!)

we’re in a jucy crib at the mo,weve got it for 48days (i think)and it works out around $119 a day with stress free insurance. we could have haggled and got ourselves probably a much better deal as the total is like 5700 so really not cheap, but im sure that included our ferry crossing too. which by the way if your good at haggling, they’ll offer the ferry crossing for 2 people and take the car for free…

erm, we seem to be getting like 600km(ish) to a full tank, although i only ever let it get to half a tank then top up again. half a tank fill-ups seem to vary from $56 two days ago, and this morning it was $70.sometimes it can be $90 for half a tank, if your near the glaciers for example the fuel can be $2.14 a litre at the minute. right now its around $2 a litre.

Our car seems pretty decent, although we have met a couple of other cribs who werent happy (dvd player killing the car battery in the middle of nowhere, another dvd that wouldnt work) they seem to say the mileage will be reasonable, ours is on 230,000km and if i rev it up a steep hill for a while it starts to smell of burning. but apart from this the fridge is decent, brand new bed linen,towels, pisnic chairs and a couple dvds. plus we stopped in queenstown airport depot and got them to top-up our oil! hope that helps in some way !!

Total Posts: 1923

Joined 2008-04-17

dvd player killing the car battery in the middle of nowhere

It’s good that they have a DVD player, but I could imagine that would be a pretty common problem? Solved by a bit of common sense.

Surely it’s common sense not to use it too much as you don’t know the condition of the battery in the hire car, how well it holds it’s charge. I would image the DVD players use a fair bit of battery, so I’d be being careful using it too much.

Rank

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2010-02-19

When i went to New Zealand i used this website to review everything its awesome:

http://www.rankers.co.nz/

On there Jucy gets 74% and Spaceship are rated at 75% so its very close. From what i remember jucy are proper campervans whereas spaceships are cars where the back extends for sleeping. I went with escape rentals (77%) and they were excellent. The vans are classes as a car as they aren’t very long so you get very good fuel efficiency and it cost less for toll roads and ferry crossings. I posted the price for the van and petrol we spent here:

http://boards.gapyear.com/index.php?op=vt&c=9&f=71&t=476658

The prices will depend a lot on when you go. I was there this June/July for their winter. The price of the campervans then is less than half and there are loads of great deals on. The winter was perfect for me as there was literally nobody else on the great walks and hardly any tourists wherever we went but it does get dark and cold early on the nights so it depends what your after really.

RankRankRank

Joined 2007-07-23

Thanks guys.

The fuel efficiency seems pretty good then! And the reviews are so close, tough decision to make. They are both very similar sizes (basically cars that you convert at night time). Prices for when we are there are $2000 NZD for Jucy and $2100 for Spaceship.

At the moment one of the things pushing us towards spaceship is that the insurance bond is lower, also there is a bit more room for sleeping (my boyfriend is tall). Also with Spaceship there are 2 seats in the back in the basic one so we would offer people lifts for a share of petrol costs.

Keep your thoughts coming though!

Total Posts: 1136

Joined 2009-03-17

ok,another point i think i forgot to mention but apologies if i did say already…

the whole gas stove coming out the car, we thought ‘wow what a cool idea!’

if it rains,or you get anything more than a breeze, the novelty quickly wears off, trust me. and this will be an issue for you with either spaceship or jucy, i think they’re both out the car stoves.
within 5 days we’d gone to the warehouse (a place you’ll soon discover, its awesome!) and bought a portable once for $30 and sat cooking indoors with the sunroof (or door) open.

we paid for stress free insurance, yes it costs us a fortune but it meant anything could happen to the car and aslong as i wasnt being illegal, i wouldnt pay a penny. with a bond, every company we spoke to said whatever happens (your fault or not) they take your bond, and you ONLY get it back IF (not when) they find out your not at fault, assuming you are of course.
so if someone crashes into YOU, thats irrelevant. they’ll take your bond to cover it,and IF they then sort it out, you may be without that money for months. depending on how tight your budget is, thats can be quite a big deal if it menas your budget for the next country is tied up in a sticky accident claim.
we’d heard a wicked campervan flipped and rolled 2 days ago somewhere with 3 or 4 people in it,(all alive btw) but im sure that’ll be a nightmare to sort out, so maybe thats also worth thinking about. Plus jucy told us only 20% of kiwis actually have insurance (dont know if thats fact, but its not compulsory here) so another thing to bear in mind!

oh and the dvd player thing- they install a dual battery system, so one charges while you drive and you use that one overnight for dvd and fridge kinda setup??

RankRankRank

Joined 2007-07-23

Thanks Nikki. We still cant make a decision…we’re going to go and look at the vans when we’re in Melbourne next week I think and take it from there.

How much longer are you in NZ for? We arrive in a months time!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 241

Joined 2009-04-21

We had a Jucy Campervan for a month and a half in New Zealand. We picked it up from Auckland and dropped it off in Christchurch!

We had absolutely no problems with the van and when we picked it up it was spotlessly clean. Our’s came with a bathroom on board, so we pretty much spend every night parked on the road rather than in camp sites

We were worried about getting hit with charges because we went with the basic cheap insurance (because for a month and a half the stress free insurance was ridiculous)... and as is inevitable in NZ, we chipped the window screen a couple of times from stones on the road. We couldn’t believe it when they didn’t charge us anything!!

Only thing is make sure you have enough money on a credit card to cover the holding fee. Basically you need to have a certain amount of money available on your card which they can hold in case you destroy the van!!

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-04-17

We used Rental Car Village http://www.rentalcarvillage.com/ currently 80% on Rankers.  Their vans are plain with no signwriting and we told by friends this was safer because it didn’t mark us out as tourists, especially when the vehicle was parked.

There campers are basic, no loo or shower, but ours was very reliable and customer service was good.  Insurance seemed fair.  Everything very clean.  We also got a a bedding pack, GPS (which I would recommend), DVD and fridge.  We found food quite expensive in NZ compared to UK, especially basics like milk, bread, fruit, so if you are on a budget a fridge prevents you wasting stuff.  Good for the beers too.  Petrol is cheaper than the UK, but see if you can get a diesel camper because that would probably be more economical.

Check out the dimensions of the campers and ask about the mattresses.  Ours was fine with Rental Car Village (though wouldn’t be good enough for my parents) but we met people who had other rentals and the mattresses were terrible. 

There’s lots of fantastic free things to do in NZ, so check them out on Rankers.  A campervan will enable you to get to these places away from the general hoi polloi.

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-04-17

We used Rental Car Village http://www.rentalcarvillage.com/ currently 80% on Rankers.  Their vans are plain with no signwriting and we told by friends this was safer because it didn’t mark us out as tourists, especially when the vehicle was parked.

There campers are basic, no loo or shower, but ours was very reliable and customer service was good.  Insurance seemed fair.  Everything very clean.  We also got a a bedding pack, GPS (which I would recommend), DVD and fridge.  We found food quite expensive in NZ compared to UK, especially basics like milk, bread, fruit, so if you are on a budget a fridge prevents you wasting stuff.  Good for the beers too.  Petrol is cheaper than the UK, but see if you can get a diesel camper because that would probably be more economical.

Check out the dimensions of the campers and ask about the mattresses.  Ours was fine with Rental Car Village (though wouldn’t be good enough for my parents) but we met people who had other rentals and the mattresses were terrible. 

There’s lots of fantastic free things to do in NZ, so check them out on Rankers.  A campervan will enable you to get to these places away from the general hoi polloi. LOL  :D