bangkok-vietnam-overnight train?

Post Reply New Thread

bangkok-vietnam-overnight train?

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2005-02-28

hi guys, hoping for some advice. planning on going from bangkok to vietnam on the overnight train. does anyone know anything about this or has anyone done it themselves? how does it affect your visa? is it comfy? do you have to change over trains or r there any that go directly?
Thanks
xx xx

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1761

Joined 2005-11-30

Iv never heard of an overnight train from Bangkok to Vietnam and I’d have thought it would be impossible seeing that you would have to cross either Cambodia or Laos and the times involved are significantly more than one night.

If you are looking for the quickest way from Bangkok, it’d be to cross Cambodia into the south of Vietnam. Roughly take the train from Bangkok to the border of Cambodia (around 6 hours I think), either a tuk-tuk or bus to actually cross the boder, then on the other side I think you need to take a bus (Im not sure if there are any trains) to the Phnom Penh (around 15 hours) and then from there get a bus to Ho Chi Minh (about 6 hours). As far as I know that is the most direct route other than flying.

That would be a hell of a trip to do in one go, Cambodia is a great place to stop off an explore also. For visas a Cambodian one is picked up at the border, the Vietnamese one you need in advance so you could get it in Bangkok or Phnom Penh (you need to specify entry and exit dates so better to leave as close to the time as possible). Travelling overland doesn’t affect your visa.

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2005-02-28

thank you for your advice, i really was clueless! this is turning out to be a v expensive mission. xx xx

RankRank

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2006-01-31

Actually, it doesn’t have to be expensive at all, but it does take some time. I spent about a week, but then I got to spend two days in Angkor Wat, and four days in Phnom Penh. I would really recommend that you spend at least a few days in Cambodia! The Angkor Wat is amazing, and you will really feel the cultural and economic difference from both Thailand and Vietnam.

I took a bus from Bangkok to Siem Reap (about $10), ferry to Phnom Penh ($4), ferry to the Vietnamese border ($2), and a minibus to Ho Chi Minh City ($5). Be warned; taking a bus in Cambodia is a bumpy ride, they only have very low quality dirt roads. Air conditioning is for chickens! And I personally have a thing against minibuses. But the ferry was cheap and comfortable, I slept and got some sun on the deck. smile