New Zealand Ski Season

Post Reply New Thread

New Zealand Ski Season

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 761

Joined 2007-06-07

Hi Guys,

I am planning on working for the NZ ski season next year, has anyone done it or planning to do it? I’m planning on applying to every resort I can think of when they start accepting applications in february, hopefully arriving in may ahead of the season starting. My preference would be one of the resorts in queenstown but I’d take anywhere as long as I can snowboard for free!

If anyone could offer any tips or advice it would be much appreciated, and if anyone wants to join me you’re more than welcome!

Chris

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 1052

Joined 2006-02-28

Hi Chris

Ive just started to look into this myself! Not sure Im going to be able to as Im currently recovering form a really badly broken arm and Ive got a feeling my physio and doctors might advise against it! but I will have to speak to them over the next few weeks and see.

Ive got as far as emailing BUNAC about the jobs they currently have for next years season. There is loads of useful info on this site which can be found here (http://sports.gapyear.com/snow/ if you havent already come across it!

Let me know how you progress with sorting it all out and I’ll do the same!

Cheers
Kris

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-06-07

Hi Kris,

Hope you make a recovery in time, it must be pretty bad if you’re worried about not making it for next year. How did you do it? I shattered my wrist in January and was riding 2 again weeks later! Not the smartest thing to do I know. I’m just gonna heavily strap it so it hopefully won’t happen again.

I’m not going through bunac, I’ve got a list of resorts and I’m just gonna apply to them all in the hope that one of them will take me. From the looks of it they don’t take applications until the new year so plenty of time yet.

Cheers for the link, will check it out. Yeah stay in touch and let me know what bunac say,

Chris

Joined 2006-02-28

Cheers Chris sure it should be back by next year but its wasnt a good break! Basically I fell on my arm at Glastonbury festival and my hip bone decided that going through just the radial bone was the best option, but it pushed the bone so far over it hit the ulna. That in itself wasnt a problem as Ive not got a nice 8inch plate and 6 pins holding it together but I decided to sever all the major nerves in my arm leaving my hand and parts of ,my arm compltely numb, started to get some sligh sensation back over the last week or so but its been 2 1/2 months and the docs dont know how much of a recover I will make! But life goes on.

Should find out within a month or 2 if I can board any time within the next 3 years (that was the provisional time the doc gave me but they have said the bone is healing really well so it should be a lot less) Its all down the the tendons etc now!

So how long have you been boarding/skiing for?

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-06-07

Ouch that sounds painful! Would be a shame if it affected your boarding, fingers crossed mate. With my wrist in a cast I had to just put my arm in the air when I bailed and just take it on the chin, not sure if you could do that or not.

Last season was my first year snowboarding, did skiing before that but I won’t be doing it again. I’m absolutely hooked, worked at a resort in Canada last year so looking for more of the same in New Zealand, can’t beat powder during the day then a few beers at night!

What about you?

Joined 2006-02-28

Been boarding for about 3 years now, only a week or two each year which is a bitch as would love to do it for longer, hence the plan for a full season. Finally go to park last year and love it! The first year I went was out in Whistler and there wasnt any snow to be seen which sucked major. Ended up learning basically how to stand up and thats it aparently it was the worse snow fall for over 30 years! Just my luck!

I dont think the arm will be a problem after its settled down for a while but with its current state I dont really want to rish making it worse (if thats possible).

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-06-07

That’s really bad luck about whistler, I thought they had boarding all year round on the glacier as well, must have been so frustrating. Nice one on getting to the park, I’m almost there, was just about to go when I hurt myself so decided to take it easy for the rest of the season. Found a list of resorts that I’m gonna apply to, surely one of them will say yes!

Whakapapa
Turoa
Mt Lyford
Porters
Mt Hutt
Mt Dobson
Roundhill
Ohau
Treble Cone
Cardrona
Snow Farm
Snow Park
Coronet Peak
Remarkables

Joined 2006-02-28

Whistler does have boarding all year round on the blackcomb glacier but its all blue runs and when your learning your just in the way!

So are you applying to individual companies or just the resort?

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-06-07

Gonna apply to each resort individually, the ones I’ve looked at don’t take applications till next year so plenty of time

Joined 2006-02-28

Keep in contact and let me know how it goes! Im defo gonna be trying to get a placement out there providing the arm is up to it 9should know in a couple of months)

could be cool to get a placement near each other so we can hook up on the slopes!

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-06-07

Yeah defo mate, sounds good. If you’re on facebook and want to add me, my address is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

deleted-user

guys - am working with snowskool out in cardrona right now and it has been an awesome last week…50cm on monday night! we do instructor courses here between mid-july and mid-sept. you can check them out at http://www.snowskool.co.uk. laura x

Joined 2006-02-28

Chris you might want to look at http://www.turoasnowsports.com/ its a cheap way of doing a season toying with the idea myself!

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-06-07

Cheers I had a look at those programmes, I’m not sure about them though. It seems like a lot of money up front, are you expected to break even or make a profit overall? What if it is a crap season for snow, where does that leave you?

Things are just so much easier showing up there and being a lifty bum :wink:

Joined 2006-02-28

True but my main thinking is I want to really improve my boarding this year and a hard core training program would be great, plus if I get trained I can go out next year and get paid for it again without any worries, one of the benefits of being an IT contractor I only have to work when I want to! meaning I can take 3 months off to go and do a season without any worries!

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Joined 2007-06-07

You lucky git, I’d love to be able to take 3 months off here and there! That sounds like it would be good for you, you could use the certificate pretty much anywhere