RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 6023

Joined 2007-04-07

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Philips-X66-MINI-LAPTOP-Ultra-small-Vista-ultimate_W0QQitemZ290215610875QQihZ019QQcategoryZ177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem i bought one of these last year good all round perfomer. i stripped mine down to make a mini pc wich i never finished lol

RankRank

Total Posts: 94

Joined 2007-11-04

The Asus EEE looks great but it’s the teeny tiny solid state drive that puts me off, and also the lack of a DVD/RW. I’m also debating taking a laptop with me travelling for my photographs, but I’d like it to have a decent amount of storage space and preferably a DVD/RW so I can burn my own DVDs if I want to.

Sure, you can use a portable hard drive and DVD/RW but by then you may as well take a regular laptop. I’m holding out from buying one until they make a 7-11” 40+GB laptop with DVD/RW. If anyone knows of one under £500, let me know! smile

So true, but my main reason for getting it was the size, so small and light which will make it easy to carry around.  The SSD is rather small but you can buy SDHC cards/USB sticks really cheap. I have 8gb SDHC card and 8GB USB stick, cost about 25pounds for both together.  The eee pc has a card reader which is perfect, buy a 16gb card for it, thats 20gb space already with the SSD.

Total Posts: 1123

Joined 2007-01-04

I have 8gb SDHC card and 8GB USB stick, cost about 25pounds for both together.  The eee pc has a card reader which is perfect, buy a 16gb card for it, thats 20gb space already with the SSD.

Incidentally - does anyone have a source for cheap memory for camera’s - Compact Flash and SD cards?

Total Posts: 3008

Joined 2004-05-30

Sure, you can use a portable hard drive and DVD/RW but by then you may as well take a regular laptop. I’m holding out from buying one until they make a 7-11” 40+GB laptop with DVD/RW. If anyone knows of one under £500, let me know! smile

It’s really not worth carrying a laptop around just so you can burn your photos to disc.  There are internet cafes and photo shops the world over that will burn discs for very little money.  The UK seems to be one of the most expensive places and even here you can now find places that will do it or let you do it for a pound or two.  Traditionally, you wouldn’t even get to see your photos at all until you’ve managed to get your film developed.  Now you can see them instantly on the screen on the camera and within minutes by plugging it into a computer you can see them on a full size screen and even print them.  I say enjoy your trip, burn all your photos to disc (I always get two copies and keep them seperate) and then select, edit and print them when you get back.[/quote

Total Posts: 1260

Joined 2007-12-10

I have 8gb SDHC card and 8GB USB stick, cost about 25pounds for both together.  The eee pc has a card reader which is perfect, buy a 16gb card for it, thats 20gb space already with the SSD.

Incidentally - does anyone have a source for cheap memory for camera’s - Compact Flash and SD cards?

It’s probably not the cheapest you will get but I bought mine at komplett.com. P+P turned out to be the same price, but you may not have that problem being UK based :wink:

Joined 2004-05-30

7dayshop.com can be very cheap.  Doing search on unbeatable.co.uk can also bring up some good companies, although they don’t seem to be as good as they were.  As usual, Amazon can also be a source of good prices.

Total Posts: 6565

Joined 2005-09-29

It’s really not worth carrying a laptop around just so you can burn your photos to disc.  There are internet cafes and photo shops the world over that will burn discs for very little money.  The UK seems to be one of the most expensive places and even here you can now find places that will do it or let you do it for a pound or two.  Traditionally, you wouldn’t even get to see your photos at all until you’ve managed to get your film developed.  Now you can see them instantly on the screen on the camera and within minutes by plugging it into a computer you can see them on a full size screen and even print them.  I say enjoy your trip, burn all your photos to disc (I always get two copies and keep them seperate) and then select, edit and print them when you get back.

Different strokes for different folks, innit?

It’s entirely possible to enjoy your trip and your photography. Depends what kind of value you put on the photography side of things. For many, it’s one of the reasons they go in the first place, even if they’re only using a compact.

RankRank

Total Posts: 94

Joined 2007-11-04

I got mine through my family as there in the computer industry so got them very cheap and decent brand/speeds.  But i would look at play.com and other sites like this as the prices are dropping fast on memory.  What i will say is watch out for fakes, ebay can be good but so much fake cards on there.

Joined 2004-05-30

Different strokes for different folks, innit?

Too true.  Each to their own.

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

It’s really not worth carrying a laptop around just so you can burn your photos to disc. There are internet cafes and photo shops the world over that will burn discs for very little money.

This is very true. I would not take a laptop for burning photos onto DVD alone. This would be an optional extra if I wanted. After all, carrying around a massive stack of blank DVDs is hardly an easy task!

My main use of the laptop would be to upload the photos in my free time (evenings in hostel after a long day sight-seeing), without keeping an eye on how much I’m spending while the potentially snail-speed connections attempt to upload my photos. (I realise that often you have to pay for access in hostels but at least you wouldn’t have to queue up for a PC if you had your own!)

I’m a bit of a snap-oholic and have been known to take in excess of 100 photos a day on some trips I’ve done. :D

I also keep a journal when I travel, and since I’m doing a huge trip and am constantly writing I would have to lug around and send home tons of books of writing. If they didn’t make it home I’d be devastated and having access to the ‘virtual paper’ that is MS word or whatever, is a handy alternative.

I intend to write a travel book when I return from travelling, so keeping a constant note of my experiences is important. A laptop is just convenient. However, I’m still debating it and I appreciate people’s opinions on this. smile

Like you said, it used to be the case that you’d have to wait until you return to see your photos. We’re so lucky with the technology we have today!

Edit: Also, based on my last trip away, it would have been really convenient to have had a laptop to write my journals and save my photos because the internet cafe was always completely rammed and I never had time to upload them before my money ran out :( . In the end I had to reduce the amount of photos I was taking to ensure that I had enough space on my memory cards to last the trip.

deleted-user

im tempted to take a laptop with me. i had thought about it before but as i do need a new laptop (the screen on my current one has broken and i have to hook it up to a monitor) i don’t see the point in buying one then leaving it here gathering dust for 12 months when i do my rtw next year.

i’d only take it if i had a proper carry case so it would be safe in my backpack. i could upload my pics, keep in touch with everyone and its a lot easier typing than writing! and i’ll be wanting to write a lot. and football manager, what a good idea! the perfect way to make those hours waiting for planes and trains fly by.

i’ve noticed quite a few people with laptops when i’ve travelled the last couple of years.

edit: not to mention the price. you can get decent laptops for £350 these days

deleted-user

I was thinking about taking a laptop. But i cam to the conclusion that its another thing to worry about. And I wouldn’t rest knowing that its not with me. So gave up on the idea, there are plennty of internet cafe around might just have to wait a few days to get to one. Also thought that if the was anything that i needed to know desperately then would phone home and get them to do it for me. I want to be save with i’m away and i want my things to be safe. I don’t mind leaving clothes and bags behind in the hostel. I would mind leaving the laptop behind.