can you still go travelling with an ex-boyfriend???

Post Reply New Thread

can you still go travelling with an ex-boyfriend???

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2007-05-04

i’ve recently broke up with my boyfriend of 6 years and we are meant to be going travelling together in feb but i don’t think i’ll be able to do it now. will it work? im desperate to go and been waiting to go for ages but don’t know if i could do it with him.
any advice?? i really don’t know what to do!

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 893

Joined 2006-07-14

It depends on the status of your relationship now, if it was a completely mutual decision then it may work but usually when a relationship ends there is one person breaking up with the other in which case the person who was ditched may be thinking if we go travelling together we might get back together, which may end up in more hurt feelings.
Also there may be awkward moments on the trip what happens if one of you drunkenly snogs someone in a club, how would the other feel.
What happens if one of you meets someone else seriously on the trip and starts seeing them, how would the other feel.
How would you cope being with someone 24/7 that used to be your boyfriend but now isnt?? There must be a reason for the break up and if you dont like being with him here how will you cope being with him all the time whilst away.

Travelling can put a strain on even the closest friendships so if your not getting on and arguing here then it will be 10 times worse away.
Obviously i dont know your situation, im just giving you some scenarios to think about.
If you dont feel you can travel together why not go alone??
Plenty of people are doing it (myself included) and you’ll meet people along the way, if you have no other option, no other friends that want to go dont give up on your dream just go alone.
Hope this helps :D

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2463

Joined 2007-04-23

Nightmare - what a situation to be in!  Personally I think I would just go off myself.  Travelling is one of the best ways to get over someone to be honest and you will meet loads of people along the way.  I was originally going myself and since being on here there is now 4 of us defo going away together if not more!

Remember this could be a once in a lifetime trip so you dont want fights, tears and tensions getting in the way of it.  Obviously it depends on how you feel but to be honest would you really be asking the question if you felt it would be ok to go together?

Total Posts: 1123

Joined 2007-01-04

Just imagine how you would feel in a few years looking back - I’m pretty sure you would regret not going, could you not go it alone?

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 171

Joined 2006-10-31

recipe for disaster.

go on your own.

Rank

Joined 2007-05-04

i agree with you all. its suposedly mutual and we’ve said we are up for going together but it would just be so much easier if i went alone really wouldn’t it. there’s no way i would give this opportunity up, I’ve been planning my trip for at least a year!
oh dear, its weird getting used to life changes!!

Total Posts: 2463

Joined 2007-04-23

Have you booked anything yet?  Try and look on the bright side, Im sure there were some areas that you weren’t too fussed about going to but he really wanted to - well now you dont have to go there.  This is your trip - make it what you want it to be!!!

Rank

Joined 2007-05-04

yeh we booked and paid for our flights about a month ago. to be honest i think the trip was planned for us both as a make or break thing but obviously we have already broke up!
im just gona see how it goes and try to persuade one of my mates to go as well or instead!
i want to go now more than ever and get away from it all!!

RankRank

Total Posts: 62

Joined 2007-11-02

It would only work if you are now best mates and the feelings have gone (which after 6 years is slim!) Go on your own, you will meet so many people out there and having your other half in the background means you won’t maximise your adventures. I think you will live to regret not going and the break away will be an awesome one!

deleted-user

i cant think of anything worse than travelling with a boyfriend.. let alone an ex!
go alone or with a friend!

deleted-user

didn’t mean to sound pesimistic, i just broke up with my b/f after 5 years, its a mutual thing and definately for the best… i actually feel really good about all the possibilities for my future now, what im trying to say is, if your relationship is definately over then its important you get yourself as far away from him as possible for a while as itl be much harder to get over the relationship if you still see each other everyday. I say this from experience as i lived with my boyfriend for 6 months after we split up the first time and we could never really move on, and in fact after i went away travelling for 2 months we decided to get back together because we missed each other so much! good luck x

Total Posts: 5495

Joined 2006-04-29

A mature advise.. :wink:

When you break a thread and later try to join them together, there is always a kot. It is also true of human bondage and relationship. So, once you brooke up, especially after 6 long years of association, just snap, forget and turn a new leaf inyour life’s book. Past is past, gone, forgotten. Don’t think once about it.

Go on your own, single. There is a saying, “Travel solo, but never alone”. Just follow it.

[quote}FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS ; DON’T LET YOUR DREAMS FOLLOW YOU

Total Posts: 2406

Joined 2008-04-07

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

That’s what I thought when I saw the name of this thread.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2001-12-31

No way, absolutely no way, don’t even think about it.

Change your flights (easily done for free - phone the airline) to a few days before or after, be flexible with your route and GO ON YOUR OWN (it’s the best way anyway)

Rank

Joined 2007-05-04

just thought I’d update you and let you know that I’m going by myself now, next week in fact!! Am so glad I didn’t go with him. Although we are still friends and meet up every now and again, it would have been too awkward and I’m really looking forward to experiencing things by myself now. Just starting to sink in that I’m actually going! Got to get organised now!

Total Posts: 1804

Joined 2007-05-30

YAY :D Good for you! Have an awesome time