Post Reply New Thread

Original Volunteers

deleted-user

Hi there

I recently read about Original Volunteers, who offer low cost volunteer placements around the world. The idea is that you pay a joining fee (£300 i think) and get involved with as many placements as you like within a year. i was wondering if anybody had been on one of their placements or had any info about them? I intend to do some volunteer work in Argentina and Peru so checking out the options.

Cheers Lara x

deleted-user

Hiya,

I’m looking into volunteering with them too, the prices are so cheap but then again this worries me a bit! I’ve spoken to someone there who basically told me they just collect the £300 and inform the individual countries you’ll be coming - I think the organisations are already set up within the counties - they only put you in touch and that’s why it’s cheap! Still I haven’t heard any stories from people who have been with them before!
When are you thinking of going? It’s a way off but I’m thinking of going October 2008 and covering as much of South America as possible!

Beckie x

deleted-user

hi there,

i have actually registered with Original Volunteers and i am off to Peru on 18th Jan for about 6 weeks.
I also had my doubts as i had read couple of things about them that made me doubt but then had comments from people that either had been volunteering with them or knew people that had and i thought that the only way to know is giving it a go!
I have received my info pack and it seems really good. I will be staying in a flat with 2 other volunteers and the place has kitchen, big living room, terrasse etc.. so all sounds good.
You pay £295 registration fee then you have to pay for accommodation, amount varies on where you are but normally reasonable. Peru is about £25. It seems as well that the coordinator on sie can help you organise outings etc.. so all sounds exciting and very much looking forward to this!
Will try and let you know how i am getting on!

Christelle

deleted-user

hello, everyone!
i’m new here…
i have a question.
if i don’t know spanish, can i go to those south america countries?
thanks!

deleted-user

Heya

I’m off in April - which seems to be coming round ever so quickly! Are you visiting any other countries in South America or just Peru? Would be good to get ur feedback from Original Volunteers. They seem to be OK having emailed me back etc its just with such a new company I can’t find a massive amount of info on them other than their own website. It does all seem to be above board tho.

Beckie have u got a route planned yet? 

My Spanish is well basic!! reckon some books and tape or maybe an evening class (that what I did) will help.

Cheers Lara x

deleted-user

Well i don’t speak any spanish but can figure out when written. I actually intend to take some spanish lessons when i am there. They do say that you could still do well even if you speak the language but once out there and with some lessons and a little homework, i hope to be able to get by!

i am only going to peru at the moment but might decide later to do some more volunteering in argentina. will let you know how i got on .

christelle

deleted-user

I’m wanting to go to a South american country in oct 08 too. Anyone know anyone that has used this company before?

deleted-user

I’m currently planning to do Brazil, then Argentina before going to Chile & Bolivia with other companies and ending up doing Peru and Ecuador! I have a whole year to do it in!
Any routes planned yet?
My other niggle is whether or not to spend Christmas in Argentina - no idea how many volunteers would actually do this and I don’t want to be stuck alone on Christmas!!
As for learning Spanish I learnt quite a bit just by being in Spain for a week with my phrase book so chances are you’ll begin to pick stuff up!!

Beckie x

deleted-user

Ive signed up and am supposed to be going to Costa Rica in April, followed by Honduras. Going it alone and the stuff they posted to me looked great. Heard great reviews from Africa and Mexico ones but not a lot about the others. Then ive been in contact with someone with a very bad review, not sure how to take it and am now terribly worried! What do you think?

deleted-user

Sarah,
What reviews did you hear…good and bad?! Any feedback from anyone would help because I haven’t heard anything!
x

deleted-user

Well the general consensus (sp?) ive found is that its really good -cheap, briliiant, not loads of support when your out there though. But then someone wrote a bad review on the facebook group, its the only one ive read but i messaged and he really had been dissapointed in what work they were given.
http://hs.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2395549607
thats the link for the facebook group if interested!
so no one has any stories if theyve already been? :-(  lol

deleted-user

Hi, My names jenny, I’ve been looking at Origional Volunteer’s website and am thinking about doing volunteer work through them but i have never done anything like this before and am worried sending the cheque to a company that i really no very little about! would you be able to give me some abvice? thanks. x

deleted-user

Hi

I’m looking at Costa Rica with Original Volunteers for Aug. Have you been with them yet?

What did you think? Would love to know your opinion

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 155

Joined 2008-03-24

I’ve heard a lot of good things about them, its a v new company so its pretty hard to find people who’ve volunteered through them but the people i did find said they didnt get a lot of support and were pretty much on their own but the placements are good and its all above board.

deleted-user

Hi iam thinking to sign up with them to go to guatemala.how was ur trip to peru? are they ok?

deleted-user

Hi iam thinking to sign up with them to go to guatemala.how was ur trip to peru? are they