Australia working visa - bank balance requirements!?!

Post Reply New Thread

Australia working visa - bank balance requirements!?!

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 166

Joined 2008-01-08

Hi,

I want to work in Australia for around 6 months but I read somewhere that you need £2000 in your bank to get a visa for a year.

Does the amount of your funds depend on the time you are going to spend working out there?

Also does a credit card with say £3000 maximum on it count as sufficient funds or does it need to be money in a bank account?

Thanks

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 6565

Joined 2005-09-29

It has to be £2k in available funds, so I believe a credit card is OK.

I bet you the same amount they don’t even ask, though.

You’d be very, very unlucky if they did.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 166

Joined 2008-01-08

Oh do they not really check your funds then?

Read somewhere that you cant get a working visa without a bank statement that shows £2000?

deleted-user

It’s a requirement, but apparently they very seldom check…

Total Posts: 1260

Joined 2007-12-10

Never heard of anyone being asked…......

RankRank

Total Posts: 73

Joined 2007-12-19

I never got asked for prof i have 2 grand in account when i applyed.  But i was told you need a bank statement when you get to immigration to prove you have funds to pay for a ticket for leaving Australia.

Cheers
Andy

Joined 2005-09-29

Yo.

As per the other thread, while on my WHVs I flew in and out of Oz to Asia and NZ all of the time, and was never asked to show proof of £2k or enough funds to buy a ticket out of Oz. Not heard of anyone being checked for years.

Bear in mind that if they do choose to enforce their right to check your account, it’ll happen at the airport when you arrive, and not during the application process.

Strictly speaking, you should really obey the rules, but I very, very much doubt if you’ll be checked.

It’d be interesting to hear from anyone who has been checked.

Rank

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2008-04-01

Hiya,

I asked when i opened my oz account and did my visa, and was told that you have to have the money and that you can’t use a credit card as proof. I never did find out why though, just that they will want a bank account statement and that they will check on arrival.

Guess i’ll find out when i get there! :?

Nat
x

Joined 2005-09-29

Yeah, that’s the rule these days - credit cards won’t suffice, seemingly.

I’m still very confident you won’t get checked at all. I spent over a year freelancing for a travel rag when I was in Oz, and never once met someone who’d been checked. And I was asking.

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2008-04-13

how much is a working visa??  and also which is the best way to apply ??

also is it true that you can only have one working visa in oz in your lifetime??

xx

Joined 2005-09-29

Yo.

It’s £85.

Never apply for your WHV through a travel agent or other third party, because they’ll hit you with their commission.

Apply for it on the Aussie government immigration website here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/visitors-outside-whm-visa-options.htm

It takes 20 minutes to fill out the online form.

The visa is normally granted within 96 hours. It’s an e-Visa, so once it’s been granted, all you need to do is show up in Oz with your passport, and they’ll insert the visa at the airport. You have 12 months to enter Oz once it’s been granted. If you don’t make it to Oz inside those 12 months, then it’ll be canceled and you won’t be allowed another one.

You can have two Australia WHVs in your lifetime, but to get the second one, you need to work for a minimum of 3 months in either agriculture or construction, and only in areas of Australia that are officially classed as ‘regional Australia’ (i.e, not near most of the big cities) by the Aussie government, while you’re in Oz on your first WHV.

The eligible areas are listed by postcode here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/postcodes.htm

You need to be under 31 at the time of application for both the first and the second visa. If you go for the second visa, then you can either stay in Oz and run straight into it when your first visa expires, or you can go back home and apply for it at a later date.