Can you buy malaria tablets in Singapore? Help!

Post Reply New Thread

Can you buy malaria tablets in Singapore? Help!

deleted-user

Just wondering if anyone knows if you can buy doxy in Singapore…...I don’t want to have to carry 6 months worth around with me and want to buy 3 months worth in Singapore - anyone know if this is possible and where I would go to purchase (without a prescription)????

Any help much appreciated.
Cheers!

RankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 745

Joined 2006-11-09

*bump*

yeah - everybody always says you can buy it in Bangkok easyily enough, but does anybody have experience of buying anti-malarials in Singapore or other part os of SE Asia.

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 2463

Joined 2007-04-23

Kinda along the same line, I dont want to take Doxy cause Im very sensitive to the sunlight as it is.  My nurse and a mate who has travelled extensively has suggested Malarone but its a friggin fortune.  Anyone know if its possible to buy Malarone in SE Asia? 

Sorry more questions than answers right now!

deleted-user

Just wondering if anyone knows if you can buy doxy in Singapore

.....or even get it in Cape Town (without prescription) - anyone??????? :wink:

Total Posts: 6567

Joined 2005-09-29

Yo.

Malarone: No. It’s not licensed in most parts of SE Asia. The only place you can get it in SE Asia is Singapore, and you need a prescription. You won’t get it over the counter in any country where Malaria occurs - it’s a policy of the manufacturer to control it see, to prevent the liklihood of strains of Malaria that are resistant to it. Get Malarone before you leave. Internet pharmacists offer decent prices. If you are offered it in Asia, don’t accept, because it’s likely to be fake.

Doxycycline in Singapore: It is available, but you may need a prescription these days. It’s a grey area. It’s probably best to drop the Embassy in London (or anywhere else) a line and ask. The Singapore Embassy in London is very efficient.

If you ever need to buy Doxy in SE Asia, go to a big chemist, like Boots or Watsons (although Watsons are slowly disappearing in Thailand). Always check the date, because out-of-date Doxy is actually highly toxic.

Total Posts: 1761

Joined 2005-11-30

Yup Malarone isn’t registered for Asian countries so isn’t available there-gotta fork out if you are going for this option.

Singapore and Malaysia officially need a prescription. I tried in Singapore and was told I needed one but in Malaysia bought a bunch from Watsons without it, I maybe got lucky though as I heard other people say they had to go get a script.

The rest-Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam/Indonesia/Burma-you don’t need a prescription but it may be harder to come across a reliable purchase opportunity

Total Posts: 2463

Joined 2007-04-23

Damn looks like I will just have to fork out for Malaroe then, I turn into a lobster sometimes in the Scottish summer so really dont want to take anything that makes this even more likely to happen! 

And yes everyone I know (including me) has questioned why Im then going to SE Asia and Africa - if anyone sees a very pink person hiding in the shade its most likely me!  LOL

deleted-user

Ok, this is an old thread BUT…

You CAN get anti-malaria drugs in Singapore over the counter. BUT you need to have with you PROOF of your onward journey to a malaria-affected area (eg Malaysia, or anywhere else in SE Asia) AND your passport (to prove you aren’t Singaporean).

And you can only buy them up to 2days before you leave (I think!)

If you go into any Watsons or Guardian (the big chain pharmacies) and speak to the pharmacist they will give you the specific details. I’m only remembering from when I did it.
You need to bring with you all the docs they ask for or they won’t give you it with not prescription. I forgot something vital so I didn’t get any!! I just had to use loads of bug spray and hope…

Malarone people… when my doctor gave me it she told me that I didn’t need to take it preventatively - I could take the entire packet (over a few days) if I thought I had Malaria, while finding a hospital. Ie. if I had any flu-like symptoms etc.
Please don’t take my word for this though - Speak to your GP!! I’m not a doctor! But I never had to take any anti-malaria drugs because I was told to take Malarone if I thought I might have it. I never did and I’m a mosquito-magnet!!

Total Posts: 6567

Joined 2005-09-29

Aye for Doxy, but Malarone is prescription only in Singapore for reasons described above. You won’t get it over any counter.

It’s true.