Birth control in Australia

Post Reply New Thread

Birth control in Australia

deleted-user

Hey ladies!

I’m traveling to Oz on a WHV in May and plan to be there for at least 2 years. I’ve been thinking about my different options for birth control, and am a little stuck as to what to do. I’m currently not on any form of birth control (other than abstinence! Lol!) so I’m trying to decide whether I should start myself on a pill while I’m still at home (Canada) and then stock up before I leave, or wait till I get to Oz and see what my options are over there. Now, the downside to the first option would be that I’d have to carry a 2 year supply of my pill everywhere I go, plus buying that many pills all at once would be quite costly. On the other hand, I could wait till I get to Oz and pick something up over there, but I don’t know if there are clinics that would prescribe birth control to the average foreign backpacker off the street.

I’d like to go with the second option, that way I can just buy a few months worth every so often. Does anyone know if there are walk-in style clinics in Oz? Also, is it very costly to purchase birth control in Australia without a health plan?

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

Have you considered the contraceptive implant? There’s one called Implanon and one called Norplant. Implanon is the only one the UK uses so I can only tell you about that but I think Norplant is virtually the same - it gives you contraceptive protection for 3 years before it need replacing. I have no idea how much it costs in Canada or Australia, but I imagine it would be cheaper than having to buy 2 years worth of pills.

This is really obvious and I’m sure you know this, but no pill or implant or IUD etc will protect you from sexually transmitted infections so use a condom smile

Joined 2007-06-25

Have a look at this http://www.thewomens.org.au/ImplanonaContraceptiveImplant

Implanon is the only implant they use in Australia and it costs around $25.

deleted-user

Thanks Alexandra!

Unfortunately Norplant is no longer available in Canada. Haven’t been able to find out why yet though rolleyes

Implanon seems like a good bet though! And it doesn’t increase the risk of Osteoporosis, which was a worry, as it turns out that the “shot” does pose that risk. And I was worried that the implant and the shot contained the same hormones. That link also mentioned that Implanon is available at local family planning clinics, and if it’s anything like Canada I shouldn’t have a problem getting it!

The only thing that scared me from that site: “a small percentage of women are quite sensitive to the hormone and may gain quite a bit (of weight)”

*crossing my fingers that I’m not part of that “small percentage”!!!*  8O

Total Posts: 1049

Joined 2008-01-11

And dont forget some people come on their period and dont come off it lol thats what happend to me! x

Total Posts: 2656

Joined 2003-12-31

Hi Pamela,

I’d seriously consdier getting the implant if you are going away for so long. It won’t suit everyone so get it now to give it a trial run see how you get on. If you do put on weight it should (fingers crossed) settle down after a few months. I’ve had mine for almost 3 years now and it cleared up my skin, i didn’t put on any weight and so far i’ve only had 2 periods.

If you do get it done you can also ask for the pill, which you can take at the same time as having the implant in, if you do come on and that should stop any bleeding, so you woudn’t have to carry around so many pill packets. I’d say just 1 - 2.

You have to pay for the contraceptive pill in Oz as well, from what I can remember, the doctors appointment. But you will be able to pick it up if you need it.

Total Posts: 6269

Joined 2005-12-31

Alternatively you could do what my ex gf did and dye your hair ginger and put on a lot of weight.

Total Posts: 1049

Joined 2008-01-11

Alternatively you could do what my ex gf did and dye your hair ginger and put on a lot of weight.

haha!

Joined 2007-06-25

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the only reason some women put on weight on contraceptive pills/implants/injections etc, was because it can cause your appetite to increase. Therefore you eat more than you usually would thus causing weight gain. I could be wrong though. I found I lost weight when I went on the pill smile

Total Posts: 5495

Joined 2006-04-29

Weight gain due to contraceptive pill/hormone is mainly due to fluid retention and fat accumulation. Once off pill/hormone, weight goes down.

There is no increase in appetite.

Joined 2005-12-31

Pill goes in.

Tits get bigger.

Fact.

deleted-user

Pill goes in.

Tits get bigger.

Fact.

8O LOL

Thanks for all the advice everyone… I have an appointment with my Doc this week to talk about my options, and the implant will will be at the top of my list! (or maybe the pill… could do with some bigger tits! haha! j/k!)

Thanks again!

Pam x

Total Posts: 1504

Joined 2007-07-26

Pill goes in.

Tits get bigger.

Fact.

Not true.

Joined 2005-12-31

It is true.

Maybe the doctor just gave you sugar pills for a laugh…

Total Posts: 5495

Joined 2006-04-29

Pill goes in.

Tits get bigger.

Fact.

But that happens to males who take oral contracepives, maily those who go for Mr. World or Mr. Universe competitions… LOL  LOL  LOL

deleted-user

Pill goes in.

Tits get bigger.

Fact.

not true.. have been on the pill for 4 years, and my tits have not gotten any bigger.. thank god raspberry