Keeping In Touch

Post Reply New Thread

Keeping In Touch

deleted-user

Hi,

A friend and I are going travelling at the end of May, we are heading to South America, North America, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, HongKong, Bangkok and South Africa. We are looking into the best way of keeping intouch with people back home. Has anyone had any dealings with Skype??

thanks
lainey

RankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 842

Joined 2006-07-14

I used Skype extensively when I was travelling - not every hostel/internet cafe computer has it, but you can install a portable version on a USB stick and take your own headphone/microphone set and then use it from anywhere!

deleted-user

how expensive it skype?

RankRank

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2008-03-21

its free the other party your tryin to contact must have skype aswell

deleted-user

ok will look into it.

deleted-user

Hey we looked into SKYPE but the girl in the shop said the person had to be in the same country is tht right? as we were gonna get our parents etc to get one but didnt seem like it was gonna go to plan!

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 478

Joined 2006-07-14

You dont have to be in the same country. I use it from the US to keep in touch with my parents at home in the UK. I hate it, the connection is rubbish, the sound is dreadful, it drops calls all the time and if the other party you are calling does not have skype it is no cheaper than a phone card, and they are so much easier to use as there are pay phones everywhere.

deleted-user

thats true

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3008

Joined 2004-05-30

Skype seems like a really useful way to keep in touch, I really should look into how you use it.  Back in 2004-05 when I was travelling I used phone shops in Asia and phonecards in Australia and New Zealand.  Prices varied a lot in Asia from town to town but could be as cheap as about 5p per minute.  In Oz the phone cards are so cheap it cost less to phone home than if I was phoning from down the road, and the sound quality was normally excellent.  In NZ it was slightly more expensive and the cheaper phonecards often had really bad sound quality, but generally were cheap and good.  I onlyphoned people once every couple of months or so and relied on email for most of the time.  I know a lot of people use instant messaging a lot, and many internet cafes are setup for this, even with webcams and mics.