Top things to do in Laos

Post Reply New Thread

Top things to do in Laos

deleted-user

Hey everyone,

Going to be heading into Laos from Thailand for two weeks.

I personally don’t know much about Laos and was wondering what the top things are to see/do.

Also, I know about how to get into Laos from north Thailand, but I want to enter back into Thailand further south after the two weeks in Laos, is this possible? What border crossing can I use?

Thaaaaaaaaaanks! smile

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 6567

Joined 2005-09-29

Mate, there are sooooo many things to do in Laos.

A popular 2 week itinerary would start at Huay Xai at the top, taking in the 2 day slow boat, spending a good few days in Luangphrabang visiting the local waterfalls, temples, hill trails etc, before heading down to Vang Vieng for a spot of tubing, kayaking, trekking, motorbiking, caving and loads more. After that, you could make your way south again to Vientiane, spend a few days seeing the city and surrounds before crossing back into Thailand via the Friendship Bridge.

If you’ve got more time, then head down from Vientiane through Savvanakhet, taking in Pakse and Champasak (for Wat Phu) along the way and ending up at Si Phan Don for a spot more sightseeing and water acitivites.

The only snag with going further south east from Vientiane is that you’d have to backtrack to at least Vientiane if you wanted to re-enter Thailand overland, although you could backtrack as far as Pakse and hop on a flight to Bangkok, but it’d be pretty expensive. Over £90.

deleted-user

Thanks for all that!

deleted-user

tubing. Vang Vieng. thats all you need to know!

deleted-user

the 4000 islands on the mekong river (to the south i believe) is a pretty cool place. a couple of us got a got a bus from Vientiane to Pakse and then its a easy trip to the islands but we headed on to cambodia after that so it might not work for you if your headingback to thailand

Total Posts: 6567

Joined 2005-09-29

the 4000 islands on the mekong river (to the south i believe) is a pretty cool place. a couple of us got a got a bus from Vientiane to Pakse and then its a easy trip to the islands but we headed on to cambodia after that so it might not work for you if your headingback to thailand

Aye.

4000 Islands is Si Phan Don, mate.

Worth knowing, because it does cause confusion when they don’t call it by its English moniker in some guidebooks and on websites.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2009-01-31

Does anyone know what laos is like for traveling solo? like is it easy to meet people. Know thats a bit of a strange question as the answer is likely to be, its as easy as you make it.  smile

Also, what kind of budget would i be looking at for a few weeks?

Was going to just stick to thailand and then go straight on to oz, but i dont think i can miss laos. iv heard too many good things!

cheers.
x

Total Posts: 3009

Joined 2004-05-30

A friend crossed into Thailand from near Pakse. This was a couple of years ago but I’d be surprised if they’ve closed the border crossing.

Laos is very laid back and easy to travel in solo, but you’re unlikely to be alone for long.  The people are friendly and very welcoming, which seems to rub off on the people who travel there.  I met a whole group of people on the two day boat ride to get into Laos from North Thailand.  We split up after a few days but then I stayed travelling with one of them, met more people in every place we visited, even in the sticks.  On the main route Tom mentioned, you’d have no problems meeting other travellers.  When we didn’t meet other travellers the locals were very welcoming, ending up being guests of honour at a wedding (not an uncommon occurrence it seems) and welcoming in the New Year.

Total Posts: 2867

Joined 2006-07-14

You have to do the Gibbon Experience, I found out about it when it was too late and was gutted, might be a bit pricey but if it was here in the UK then you would probably do it!

http://www.gibbonx.org/index.php

RankRankRank

Joined 2009-01-31

any idea how much the gibbon experience costs chuzzle? There aint any prices on the website.

sa
x

Total Posts: 2463

Joined 2007-04-23

any idea how much the gibbon experience costs chuzzle? There aint any prices on the website.

sa
x

Email them as they are really good at getting back to you with all the details.  From memory it was about £150 I think but that was about a year ago.  I ran out of time to do it but there is a day thing you can do in Chang Mai which is called flight of the gibbons.  You dont actually see any monkeys but you spend the day in the canopy of the jungle doing an assault course type thing on zip wires which is fun.

Gutted I didn’t get to do the actual Gibbon Experience though as the folk I met who had done it absolutely loved it.

Dont know if anyone has mentioned it yet but if your in Loung Prabang get your ass up to the bowling alley from about 11pm onwards.  All the other bars close due to licensing laws but you can still get booze here.  Ends up a good place to meet fellow travellers and enjoy some drunken bowling!!!

Total Posts: 2463

Joined 2007-04-23

Also if you fancy doing some treks to visit hill tribes get yourself up to Loung Namtha in northern Loas.  Only a couple of hours from Houyxai.  Nice little town and really good treks which are a lot less commercial than northern Thailand.  Not as many travellers go there but I headed up there by myself and soon got chatting to other people.  Actually a lot of folk who were there went themselves so its actually easier to get talking to folk.  There is also an amazing Indian restaurant there :D

Total Posts: 2867

Joined 2006-07-14

sa
x

Yeah, it was about $80 USD all in if I remember but I met a few people out there who’d done it and they all said it was cool and worth the money - your sleeping in tree houses for 2 nights and to get about you just hook up to a wire and whizz from tree to tree LOL

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2003-03-30

sa
x

Hey,
Ive just come from Chiang Mai. There are two zip wire activities- flight of the gibbons and then jungle flight, which are run by different companies in different areas. The jungle flight is about 2 quid cheaper but i asked around and people recommended flight of the gibbons as its been running for longer etc. It cost me 1900baht which is about 40 quid but i got a free t-shirt (if you stay at julie guesthouse - very good place to meet people - then you get the free tshirt). Really enjoyed it and the guys that take you round are funny and have a laugh with you. I got picked up at 6am and after doing the zipwires, bridges and stuff then you have a really nice lunch and get to walk to the top of a waterfall which is a wicked end to the day before getting dropped back off at the guesthouse about 2pm. Def recommend it!! xxx

RankRankRank

Joined 2009-01-31

Fantastic. Will definately have to look into doing one of those! Thanks!

x

RankRank

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2009-01-18

tag!