Top things to do in Laos

Post Reply New Thread

Top things to do in Laos

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

Guys did you take malaria medication when you travelled round Laos?

I have been to Vientiane before and didn’t take any there as it isn’t needed, but I guess it would be for Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng etc?

I’m heading there this summer for a week and I’m not sure whether I should bother or not.

You should take it if you are going to a malarial zone. Even if you’re not bothered about catching it, remember that if you do get bitten by a malarial mosquito you are helping the spread of malaria to those who do not have the luxury to choose whether they can take treatment for it.

Bottom line, take antimalarials while in a malarial area because you’re putting other people at risk by not doing so.

Check out Fit For Travel to find out if the areas you are visiting are considered a malaria risk. And remember, low risk doesn’t mean no risk.

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2011-06-16

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but what is tubing? :?:  :?:

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 4626

Joined 2002-12-31

Guys did you take malaria medication when you travelled round Laos?

I have been to Vientiane before and didn’t take any there as it isn’t needed, but I guess it would be for Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng etc?

I’m heading there this summer for a week and I’m not sure whether I should bother or not.

You should take it if you are going to a malarial zone. Even if you’re not bothered about catching it, remember that if you do get bitten by a malarial mosquito you are helping the spread of malaria to those who do not have the luxury to choose whether they can take treatment for it.

Bottom line, take antimalarials while in a malarial area because you’re putting other people at risk by not doing so.

Check out Fit For Travel to find out if the areas you are visiting are considered a malaria risk. And remember, low risk doesn’t mean no risk.

yeah since that post I found out my travel buddy has loads of malarone, so i’ll be taking that.

I probably wouldn’t hit Laos without any protection.

Although I would prefer no protection to taking Lariam, which gave me psychotic nightmares in Borneo!

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2011-06-16

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but what is tubing? :?:  :?:

Don’t worry, just found the answer to my question- definately looks like a lot of fun but I can definitely see why caution (and staying sober) is needed!!!

Rank

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2016-06-08

each city has various things to do, i think the most popular things we do when travelling are sightseeing, eating local food, buying souvenirs smile) for me, i love to explore street food, and food in luang prabang was amazing