What to wear in India?

Post Reply New Thread

What to wear in India?

deleted-user

Hi everyone…I am 34 year old white female and have been planning a solo three week trip to Rajasthan in Feb 09…however on doing further reading about groping and hassle have started to be put off by the whole thing and am saly reconsiderig…

I know what you wear matters a lot and I respect that you need to wear long skirts, long shorts and keep things covered when travelling.  Having said that…I still want some sun on my skin! 

I was therefore wondering whether people know what the dress code is for swimming pools at hotels?  I am planning 8 destinations and along the way plan to stay in or use pools at Jodhpur, Udaipur, jaipur and Delhi…will I will be able to relax in a bikinni or is that out of the question?

Thanks very much!

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 3928

Joined 2007-06-25

If you’re staying in a Westernised hotel with a pool, then you can wear a bikini - but you will be likely to get started at by any locals (and depending on the kind of bikini you’re wearing non-locals too!).

I know what you wear matters a lot and I respect that you need to wear long skirts, long shorts and keep things covered when travelling. Having said that…I still want some sun on my skin!

When I was in N. India, I didn’t get any tan at all - not even a watch strap line! However I went in monsoon season so the sun didn’t really ever get through the clouds. Even so, I made sure I was covered up.

I wore loose linen trousers with a knee length loose sundress over the top and a pashmina to cover my shoulders and arms, and I noticed a great deal of change in the respect I got compared to a day I wore a tank top.

In fact when we visited the Taj Mahal people wanted to take photographs of me and my fiancé (who was also dressed conservatively) with their family members!

RankRankRankRankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 5495

Joined 2006-04-29

Watch what local gals of similar age wear. In metropolitan cities, they usually wear a mix of eastern and western dress.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2017-05-20

OK, it is easy to wear local clothes but how will you maintain gesture, body language, sense of humor, languages etc….?

I think you are fine in your own country dress as well…... because Indians want to see your natural style also…..

Admin: eDiscount.co.in